Aeration methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwk1972

Reaction score
Remember reading somewhere about someone who did their aeration a bit different but for the life of me I can't figure our where I read it. Most of the info tells you this happens when pour the cooled wort into the fermentation bucket but I remember seeing somewhere that it can also be achieved by a smaller pour from a higher position via a siphon hose. The reason I'm asking this is because I just bout a new turkey fryer for boiling that has a spigot on the bottom meant to drain fry oil but got me wondering if this was useful for brewing or not? Input?

Absolutely the spigot would be useful for brewing. Many of us use them. Much easier than tipping the huge pot over and trying to pour it anywhere.

Aeration is easy. Any method you can use to get it done is fine. If you were to siphon your boil through a hose and allow the boil to fall 18"+ onto the boil surface in your fermenter, this would surely stir it up and aerate it some more. But there's many other ways this can be done. Just beating the boil with a wire wisk would be just as, if not more, effective. It's not rocket science, so whatever you find easiest.

The cheapest way to aerate is to use the spigot and let it splash into your fermenter.

Then just to be sure - shake the bejeebers out of the wort to make sure that the most oxygen that is possible is in the solution.

I like the method of using a 6.5 gallon bucket to aerate as demonstrated in Palmer's "How to Brew" book.

Dump half of your cooled wort into a sanitized bucket fermenter, secure the lid tightly, put a piece of tape over the air lock hole. Shake the bucket violently for 30 seconds and pour into sanitized fermenter (I use carboys). Repeat with other half of your wort and it will be nicely aerated. :)

my brew shop has a $3 plastic aerator that you stick on the end of the tubing and connect the other end to the spigot and voila. super easy. The spigot is key. I use it for my strike water to then add it to the mash tun and then my 10 gal cooler also has a spigot. to easily get it back into the pot for the boil.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. From shaking to elaborate oxygen infusion systems. I use this. It's made for degassing wine, but oxygenates my wort just fine. Of course you need to ferment in a carboy to get the benefit without the mess....

94.jpg

Lots of ways to skin a cat. From shaking to elaborate oxygen infusion systems. I use this. It's made for degassing wine, but oxygenates my wort just fine. Of course you need to ferment in a carboy to get the benefit without the mess....

Holy $h*t! That thing must be what 6 ft tall - It almost comes up to the roof of your garage. And that drill, why that must be a man's drill :rockin:

Put the full Carboy on the ground with a plug in it. Roll it back and forth as fast as you can until you get tired. After a could minutes rest, do it again...then again. I saw a guy do it on YouTube and have been doing it ever since. I think someone posted the link on hear a while ago.

I like using glass carboys for primary to watch the party unfold. I purchased a solid stopper. I sanitize this along with my airlocked stopper. Add yeast to carboy (with or without topoff water), siphon wort in, cap with solid stopper, rock back and forth to agitate for 20 seconds or so, swap in the airlock, good to go. I like this method because there is only one additional simple piece of equipment to sanitize.

I pick up my carboy sidways, put my hand over the opening and shake it for 20-30 seconds...wait a minute or so and repeat. I do this 6 or 7 times.

Rolling, tipping, or picking up and shaking a GLASS carboy sounds a little like an accident waiting to happen. I use a beer stone and an oxy welding tank.

This is how i do it. I just pump cooled wort through this and it pulls air in through the holes. Would also work with gravity fed with a smaller chunk of copper.

DSCF3263.jpg

I love this place... so many great ideas! I like Lucky Chicken's little "doo-dad"... might have to see if I can whip one up.

I love this place... so many great ideas! I like Lucky Chicken's little "doo-dad"... might have to see if I can whip one up.

Just make sure the total area of the holes is less than the area of the opening at the end of the pipe, or it will start comming out the holes. Mine will come out the holes if I run the pump full open, 90% and its perfect a good 3" of foam in the fermenter!

Latest posts

Back