Aerating wort before pitching yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I aerated my wort and after doing so there was foam all the way to the top of the carboy. Last time I pitched the yeast and when it started fermenting it pushed quite a bit of krausen through my blowoff tube. So this time I decided to let the foam settle while we were out for a couple of hours, and then pitched the yeast. I started to wonder if letting it sit and settle was a mistake. Thoughts?

Mikel

It wasn't a mistake, but I don't think it will help with a blowoff. Rig a blow off tube to avoid any potential issues with high krausen. Control fermentation temperature to control krausen. Also, if your bucket/carboy is too small, blowoffs will always be an issue.

I don't think you will have any issues but I would have pitched instead of waiting. During the first few hours you are only getting growth of the yeast cells anyway and the foam usually settles back before full fermentation starts. Blow off is pretty common during a good vigorous fermentation, just make sure you always have your blow off tube on for the first few days.

I agree. The aeration foam always settles back into the wort by the time fermentation starts. But I rehydrate dry yeast, so it pours right through the foam.:mug:

Back