Aerate my worth with the yeast in it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregiscool

Reaction score
so last night i was brewing and forgot to aerate my worth. At this point i already pitch my yeast, but i figured a good shake even with the yeast in it wouldn't hurt. was i right, or could i shaken my poor little yeast and potentially hurt them and their miracle work process? Or am i just being paranoid like every new brewer? Mainly i feared because after 12 hours there was no activity(last batch was going wild after 12 hours and didnt stop for almost 72 hours at a very high pace). I know 72 hours is a better judge then 12 hours, so ill wait till them before i worry, but long story short, aerating the wort with the yeast in the beginning, did i potentially mess my yeast friends up?

Ill RDWHAHB later tonight trust me!

Thats my usual technique pitch and shake...never been a problem, didnt even occur to me that it might be.

you're technically not supposed to aerate the wort after the yeast is pitched however a small shake isn't going to ruin anything. it's been said you're not supposed to aerate before the yeast as well unless the temp is beneath 80F, but it's not something to split hairs over really.

you'll be fine. it can sometimes take quite awhile for our little friends to get to work. give it a little time. if you still dont see anything in 72 hrs, you may need to get some more yeast...

IIRC, fermentis recommends pitching, waiting 30mins, and then shaking up the wort. As long as active fermentation hasn't begun, shaking up the wort isn't a problem.

You should not aerate with the yeast because they get dizzy....wait - that's me!

small shake isn't going to ruin anything.
Plus a small shake will not actually do anything at all to anything.

To be honest in a 5 gallon batch you really never NEED to aerate unless you have a high gravity brew. If you do shake gently all you are doing is making yourself feel better. You need to get that 5 gallons frothy for anything to really happen.

the last batch i made, an irish red, that is now all gone, didnt start bubbling until 2 days after i pitched. and i use a fish tank bubbler to aerate. works great. so i wouldn't worry until day 4.

I have never had a yest not work, is the beer still good to pitch more yest into? or would some bug have already gotten a foothold in there?

Latest posts

Back