advise on my own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my friends:) This is the final draft.:)
5#pilsen light (DME)
1#golden light (DME)
1# corn sugar
all hops are in pellets
1oz cascade (full boil)
2oz Magnum (full boil)
2oz Tettnang (full boil)

2oz Simcoe (flameout)
1oz Columbus (flameout)
1oz cascade (flameout)

1 pack of safale English ale dry yeast.

are there any recommendations on where to order the ingredients from?

Hi all
I brewed this recipe last weekend, i am having serious issues with getting fermentation going/started like it will not start. I put in the little bag of yest and nothing . I just got some liquid yest yesterday and poured it in. the fermentor.. Boy do I have some complaints about fast fermetor conical! it leaks! i really cant see the beer to well thorough the white plastic ,the thermometer is not accurate , very awkward to handle and the lid gasket can be a little tricky. I think i will go back to glass carboy after this one. ps. not sure if i post this in the right place . please help getting a little worried

I saw one of your other posts elsewhere saying you are keeping it in pretty low temp conditions. This is an ale with US-04? You probably should be sure to keep it in the mid 60's or even higher.

Possible you might should have pitched two packs of yeast if this is a very high gravity wort and 5 or more gallons.

But I'd say take care of your temperature and keep it stable at that temperature. Keep the lid on and wait it out.

Did you also say that this is in a Fast Ferment conical? If so, I have one. My first time out with it the lid didn't seal well enough for the airlock to bubble. But my beer finished fine and on schedule.

thank you so much hot;)
this is a great place. so my problem is most likely temp.. how to fix this?please and thank you

I saw one of your other posts elsewhere saying you are keeping it in pretty low temp conditions. This is an ale with US-04? You probably should be sure to keep it in the mid 60's or even higher.

Possible you might should have pitched two packs of yeast if this is a very high gravity wort and 5 or more gallons.

But I'd say take care of your temperature and keep it stable at that temperature. Keep the lid on and wait it out.

Did you also say that this is in a Fast Ferment conical? If so, I have one. My first time out with it the lid didn't seal well enough for the airlock to bubble. But my beer finished fine and on schedule.

thank you so much :) hot
Yes it is a fast ferment conical.So my problem is most likely temp. What is your advise on how to fix please an thank you .

If you have a temperature controller, something like these.....

https://www.digiten.shop/collections/thermostat
Then I'd say to wrap it in an electric blanket, heating pad or something. But if you don't have a temperature controller, then you will probably just wind up getting it too hot then too cold. And that's not good at all.

So just a room that has an ambient air temp over 67°F is where I'd put it.

So my problem is most likely temp.
I don't know if it is or not. You only said it was in someplace that is in the 60's.

Low 60's probably just very slow fermenting. But still fermenting. What is the actual temperature of the room it is in? If it's not a stable temp, that's a problem.

Won't know about fermentation if you don't have a hydrometer. But patience is probably needed more than anything. You sound too desperate.

What temp has it been at & what yeast did you use? Most likely, you want between 60F-68F. If you are anywhere close to that, fermentation should start, but it may take awhile to get going. And like noted above, you may not be able to rely solely on the bubble lock to track fermentation rate.

Thank you for the advice good and hot:ghostly:
I will just wait and see .;) how it goes. I don't have a temp gage in the kitchen,

Lol of course.... now what do I do 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_184535482.jpg
    IMG_20220414_184535482.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Brew day 😊
So much fun

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_160050420.jpg
    IMG_20220410_160050420.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220410_160106443.jpg
    IMG_20220410_160106443.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
More from Saturday 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_151633767.jpg
    IMG_20220410_151633767.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220410_163019288.jpg
    IMG_20220410_163019288.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Lol of course.... now what do I do 😆
Clean it up on the outside wouldn't hurt to spray some sanitizer on it. Remove and replace the airlock or clean and sanitize that one.

More info and details to keep things in context might help us. Where and when did this happen and is this the current batch being discussed. Or is this some old picture from bygone days?

hi hot;) and thank you
This is the same batch and recipe on this thread. I brewed it in Sunday 4-10-22 This happened in the kitchen sometime yesterday while I was at work.I got home around pm California time. I think you are right about the air lock, I will try to pick one up tonight. and i am getting rid of the fast fermator just to much trouble for me. again thanks a million for all your help:)

Hi hot ;) and thank you
This is the same batch and recipe on this thread . I brewed it on Sunday 4-10-22,This happened in the kitchen sometime yesterday while I was at work .I got home around 7 pm California time.I think you right about the air lock,I will try to pick a new one up tonight. I will be getting ready rid of the fast fermenter after this run just to much of a hassle for me.

I plugged that recipe into Beersmith and it came up with 198IBU, yet on the recipe posted they list it as 100IBU
I put the numbers into Brewer's Friend and got 249 IBU and that didn't include any IBUs for the 0 minute additions. If you have a lot of hops in your freezer, maybe give it a try.
:mug:

Hi to all,This sight is great with all the info and advise that has been given to me:) thank you!
My new problem is I can not see if the fome inside the fast fermentor is gone. and I don't want to keep opening the fermentor to keep checking.so about how many days should i wait to start bottling?

My new problem is I can not see if the fome inside the fast fermentor is gone. and I don't want to keep opening the fermentor to keep
Yeah, it really sucks that they didn't give you a clear collection bottle for the yeast and trub. My 3 gallon version of that came with a fixture that allows use of a mason jar in pretty much any size desired. And with it, after the trub and settled yeast is dumped, one can see when the beer cleans up.

Regardless, I'd probably dump most of the trub after the krausen is over. Something between day 3 and day 5. I'd also take a gravity sample from the beer that came out with those dumps. I might consider putting the bottling attachment on so I could limit how much beer I waste when I get a sample. Then I'd sit on my hands till after a full 2 weeks have lapsed and then take another gravity sample. If the same as the first, I'd bottle. If not I'd wait another 3 days and do another gravity sample. And when they read the same, I'd plan for bottling when convenient.

And after getting any sample, make sure to sanitize everything and squirt some sanitizer up into the valve body. Maybe even before and after if you have the bottling attachment installed.

As for opening the fermenter and looking, don't. There is no reason to do that other than being curious about things that don't really matter. Or things you won't be able to solve even if it did make you aware of something.

Last edited:
hot beer you are a master brewer thank you so much!!! I will follow your advice to a 'T"
ps I will also get a gravity thing lol

Hi everyone, sorry for so many questions. I have tried to open the valve in my fast fermenter and nothing comes out. Any tips on how to get it flowing again? It's been 10 days.

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_132147297.jpg
    IMG_20220420_132147297.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220420_132126993.jpg
    IMG_20220420_132126993.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Didn't you dump the trub a day or two after it krausened?

You have tried rocking the fermenter to get it unplugged haven't you? If you stir up too much yeast and trub, you can just wait a few more days for it to settle again.

Regardless, a sanitized coat hanger wire from above. Or below if you are willing to loose a little till you can get the collection bowl back on.

IMG_20220420_132147297.jpg
this is valve open. (just in case you are confused)

I will type in a full report tonight after work. But after bottling today a quick glimpse of what it looks like! Ladies and gentlemen the beer that we all produce together let me introduce you to tin can indian pal ale.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_133811809.jpg
    IMG_20220424_133811809.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
hello all;0)
The bottling day went pretty simple. no hiccups. just broke 1 bottle, had not used this new bottle capper before. and was short 2 bottles to make 2 cases. The beer tastes really good cant wait to taste it when done.

Now the bad:((
The fast fermenter was just not for me.. with not being able to see the foam too how bulky and hard it was to move and the constant small leaks and the clogged valve ----i am out on this vessel, so if you help me build this recipe you can have it for free. you pick up or pay for shipping and packaging and handling. pm me for my cell number to make arrangements k?.. again thanks toooo alllll:))))

ps. next I want to make barely wine---:)

Sum pics

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_122521679.jpg
    IMG_20220424_122521679.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220424_123313915.jpg
    IMG_20220424_123313915.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_124128651.jpg
    IMG_20220424_124128651.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220424_125656297.jpg
    IMG_20220424_125656297.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
If you could figure out some way to get a clear collection bowl on that fermenter, you might not mind not being able to see through the FV body.

I have the 3 gallon FastFerment and it uses a attachment that lets you put any size small mouth mason jar you wish to on it. Then with the valve left open, you can see what is going on in the beer and what it looks like after you have dumped the trub from it.

With any other type fermenter you use, at random times you'll get spewing events where foam and other crap comes out of the airlocks or blow off tubes. And your plugged valve I'd still put down to inexperience with the FV and not dumping all your trub at the appropriate time. I dump almost all the trub a day or so after the krausen.

If you could figure out some way to get a clear collection bowl on that fermenter, you might not mind not being able to see through the FV body.

I have the 3 gallon FastFerment and it uses a attachment that lets you put any size small mouth mason jar you wish to on it. Then with the valve left open, you can see what is going on in the beer and what it looks like after you have dumped the trub from it.

With any other type fermenter you use, at random times you'll get spewing events where foam and other crap comes out of the airlocks or blow off tubes. And your plugged valve I'd still put down to inexperience with the FV and not dumping all your trub at the appropriate time. I dump almost all the trub a day or so after the krausen.
Hi Hot:)
Thank you for the advice -But I already got another vessel.

I'm going to try this one out next.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_171658302.jpg
    IMG_20220425_171658302.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
@alex510 A barleywine is a simple recipe.

Use a bunch of grain, 15#+ for a five gallon batch (enough to get you to your planned OG), mash at 152-156 for at least an hour, you will likely collect more wort than usual, boil for ~2 hours to create the malliard reactions associated with a barleywine, if you want an English version, use English hops such as EKG, if you want an American variety, use American hops and more of them. Hops go in at 60 minutes on either version typically. English yeast to the English version and American yeast for the American version. If you are going with the English version, some caramel malts are typically used. The caramel malt you choose, will help to determine the color.

BTW - The BJCP Style guide can be vary helpful in your recipe formulation.

Back