Advise on fermentation status

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armando572

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting an IPA, the original gravity was 1.059, after 3 weeks fermenting is at 1.033. It is been having the same gravity for the past two weeks. I made a 10 gallon batch that is divided into two fermentation buckets. It started fermenting at a 65 degrees Fahrenheit, after a week we increased the temperature to 68 degrees. We used 3 packages of safale-us 05 yeast. When I opened one of the fermentation bucket that contains half of the beer it has a white substance floating on the top and the other half it looks the normal beer color. I attached the batch pictures. I am wondering if the fermentation has gone wrong, if there was a mistake or if it simply suppose to look like that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2013-06-22_21-56-03_421.jpg

2013-06-22_21-57-51_915.jpg

That's not out of the ordinary.

How are you measuring gravity? Refractometer or hydrometer?

A refractometer is pretty darn useless once fermentation starts unless you run the numbers through a correction calculator.

I bottled a batch a few days ago that finished at 1.010. Just for grins, I checked it with the refractometer - 1.027.

I defer to Yooper about the probability of infection in the one photo. Also, I was wondering where the krausen ring was on the second photo.

Back