Advice with American Farmhouse Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewp

Reaction score
About two weeks into fermentation with a saison that I blended 3711 (French) and WLP570 American Farmhousee blend. Anyone know the Saison strain that was blended with Brett to make this? After two weeks I've got great flavor and may want to try to rebrew with a similar clean blend.

Also, any recommendations on using 570? I'm trying to decide whether to bottle soon or to extend the primary to let the Brett develop (minimal Brett flavor now minus som pineapple on the nose).

Any tips and input is appreciated.

Cheers

As far as I can tell, there is no Brett in either of those yeasts packs.

I wouldn't use the 3711. It does dry a beer out, but I don't think it is really a very good yeast.

I wouldn't use the 3711. It does dry a beer out, but I don't think it is really a very good yeast.

What don't you like about 3711? I've used it before and had no issues.

I suspect OP means WLP670 as 570 is the Duvel strain.

It's a very easy to use strain that will ferment very dry. Off the top of my head, I can't remember exactly what it is I don't like about it. Comes off very sweet and estery - peach/stonefruit IIRC, but that might not be it. I can always tell a 3711 beer though because I don't like them either.

I'd guess that if you just use 3711, you'll get the same results as what you've gotten from the combo of that and WLP670 over two weeks. White Labs blends have very low cell counts, although I've never seen a 670 vial so maybe it's got the normal ptich instead of the miniscule amount their other blends and brett strains have. Either way, 3711 probably dominated the sacc in the 670 and there isn't enough brett in there to have done anything in 2 weeks.

That being said, email white labs and they'll tell you what strains are in the 670.

I don't know I can say specifically what I don't like about it. I've used it several times, and the beers have just not been as enjoyable as similar beers brewed with other Belgian strains.

I've used it 5 times, and been disappointed with all of them. I've made many more with other Belgian yeasts which have all been superior. Probably out of about 30 similar style Belgian beers I've brewed, the 5 made with 3711 would be the 5 least enjoyable of all of them.

It is certainly an easy yeast to use, and really dries a beer out (which I like), but there is just something I don't like about it.

i love 3711 and i faithfully make a saison with it every spring to drink up during the summer. i saw a post on the white labs website where someone asked about what goes into one of their blends, may have been the american farmhouse blend, and they said they don't disclose that information.

Sorry, I did mean 670. Funny I just happened to get the numbers mixed with another Saison strain. Total coincidence.

My questions are relating to 670 and if anyone has suggestions on fermentation time and bottle conditioning.

I used the French saison since a lot of the breweries near me use it at their saison strain. After two weeks the beer is tasting pretty good so no complaints yet with a 3711 / 670 mixed fermentation.

I have really grown to love the 3711. It's definitely fruity... I get pineapple with a nice musty/peppery background.

Resurfacing this thread for batch #2.

So my original wheat saison fermented for 1 month with the blend of French saison/American Farmhouse blend. Little to no Brett character after 1 month it was tasting good and I was getting impatient so I kegged it up (Feb 25). Nice cross between saison/wit/German wheat flavors. Very happy.

Since I did not get any Brett development I decided to leave the yeast cake in my 5 gal carboy under about an inch of beer to see if the Brett would continue to develop. I checked today and I have a pelicle covering the entire surface of left over beer.

I was thinking about throwing a new batch of fresh wort onto this to see if I get a nice funky saison. Any thoughts?

Should I pitch right onto the existing cake/pelicle? I figure I will get some primary ferm from the Brett his way too. Any suggestion on ferm temp with the active Brett?

Thanks and cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Why not? Over pitching?

Should I swirl the cake/Brett/beer mixture to make sure I get both Brett and sacc in my new pitch?

Thanks.

you can be sure that the yeast will be all mixed into whatever amount you scoop out of the yeast cake. don't wash it, just scoop 1/2 cup (or a little more) and dump in the fresh wort. brett takes time to develop the classic flavors, months not weeks. you can ferment a hoppy pale ale with 100% brett and the flavor will be relatively clean at first and get funkier with time.

I appreciate the help.

When storing a Brett/sacc mixture for re-use do you recommend warm or fridge temps?

I had a pro brewer tell me warm storage for Brett but I wasn't sure with the sacc mixed in there.

I appreciate the help.

When storing a Brett/sacc mixture for re-use do you recommend warm or fridge temps?

I had a pro brewer tell me warm storage for Brett but I wasn't sure with the sacc mixed in there.

i've had a 5 liter flask of brett going for close to a year sitting in the garage for 8 months then in a closet for the past 3. everytime i brewed and had leftover wort i'd dump it in and it would take off for a few days. recently i smelled it for the first time and it has the classic cherry pie smell going. when i brew sour beer i dose it with a shot from the bottom of the flask.

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

Back