Advice on what equipment to buy right now, and what specifically you'd recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
AG brewer doing 5G batches with a regular turkey fryer burner, 8 G HLT, 10 G BK, rectangular cooler MT and an IC. My kegerator is a big older fridge that I may be turning into a fermentation chamber, but I first need to turn a mini-fridge I have into a kegerator. I have some extra $$ from Christmas so I'm trying to make the best decision.

1) Most obviously for beer quality, I need a temperature controller. I don't think I want to do any wiring, so I need an entry level controller that's prewired. Will I be unhappy a year down the road if I get a single stage starting out? I'm basically plugging a chest freezer or fridge into this thing and that's the gist of it, and if it's dual stage I'd also plug in a light or other less half-ass heating element? Do I really need dual stage?

2) dual tap tower. I'm nervous about downsizing from the big fridge to something that only holds 2 kegs, but I may need to to get SWMBO to let me add the ferm. chamber. Where's the best place people have found for tap towers? Just whatever comes up first like beveragefactory.com? I'm going to go with something entry level here. I was thinking of making a pvc one but chrome just looks nicer.

3) pump. I want a pump, but they are expensive, a buddy uses the ones from greatpumpeh and likes them. What is a suggested basic pump

3a) If I get a pump I need to finally get new tubing and more importantly quick connects or some other connector. Do I just need to suck it up and get QC's? Where's the cheapest place I can go for that?

4) Aeration pump kit.

5) Stir plate.

Am I in the right order of priority here? Anything else I should be thinking of?

temp control - for sure.

I have a single stage, it's fine. in the winter i plug a ceramic reptile lamp into it and in the summer i plug the freezer into it. no problems so far.

after temp control i would get a stir plate. big starters help your beer.

temp control - for sure.

I have a single stage, it's fine. in the winter i plug a ceramic reptile lamp into it and in the summer i plug the freezer into it. no problems so far.

after temp control i would get a stir plate. big starters help your beer.

what brand temp controller do you have?

Back