Advice on Turkey Fryers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
On my wish list is a turkey fryer so that come spring I can brew outside and avoid the wrath of SWMBO (Eeew! What's that smell? It's so bad I think I'm gonna puke!). My question is this: many of them seem to come with aluminum pots. I want to stick to SS for my brewing. Should I just buy one at a good price and then get a SS stockpot to use with it, or should I just find one that comes with the SS pot and pay the extra money it will cost?

I doubt you'll find any turkery fryers with anything other than aluminum pots. If you are dead-set on using S/S, you'll probably have to buy a separate pot.

I have seen some sold with SS pots, but they are usually small, 5 gal or less. You could always buy a SS pot seperately and use the aluminum one to fashion a medieval helmet for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to see any reason a pot must be aluminum rather than ss, other than personal preference, given quality construction of both pots.

I got a SS one at Sam's Club. The burner stand and pot are SS and the pot is quite large, 7 or so gallons. The burner has a ring around the top in which a keggle 'just' fits with a little force. I'm using the stock pot as a HLT.

Mindflux said:
A universally liked burner w/ stand is the Bayou Classic SQ14 seen here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQ4/002-8711367-4931214?v=glance&n=286168

It's got a big enough setup that you can use a converted keg on it, and has a ring burner versus a jet burner. It should be more fuel efficient...

A number of members love theirs, I've yet to get one...

That's the one I bought (knowing I eventually would buy some kegs), except mine is stainless steel. No paint burning off that way. Got mine right from www.bayou-classic.com and it came with a 32 quart stainless steel pot and basket, etc. Free shipping on the package.

Academy Sports ( www.academysports.com ) has a similar burner that is stainless, and comes with a 30 quart stainless pot. The quality of the pot isn't as good as the Bayou Classic, but it is good enough for brewing beer. 69 dollars.

Last time I looked Amazon had quite a few burners with stainless pots available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mindflux said:
Jesus, 158 for the set? I'd rather buy the painted one and have the paint burn off (no big deal anyway).

I hear ya... lol

It was a lot of money, but the stainless steel pot is pretty good quality, and it alone with the basket and stuff sells for 120. So for a little more, I got the burner and free shipping too. It's also 32 quart, not 30 like the Academy deal.

Hey, at least thanks to my buddy in Fort Worth, I got three Sanke kegs for 12 dollars each! Now I just need to cut holes in the tops... :)

I got lucky a guy at work gave me a turkey fryer, it has a valve and it is stainless. It works out pretty good, I use my pot to heat sparge water I have tubing attached to the valve that runs down to my igloo for my sparge. I collect the wort, disconnect the tubing shut the valve and boil my brew in the turkey fryer works pretty good.

Latest posts

Back