Advice on moving to secondary or leaving in primary longer - NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badclamz

Reaction score
I decided to brew a partial grain NEIPA using 1318 London Ale lll yeast and its been 10 days in primary in a glass carboy and looks fantastic. O.G. was 1.078 which was slightly higher than anticipated and things got fermenting rather quickly and aggressively for 2-3 days at a steady 70 degrees F. On the third day and in following this particular recipe, I added a copious amount of dry hops as the krausen began to retreat. Again, its all smelling and looking great. On day 7 I still had rather frequent airlock activity (2-3 times a minute) and I dry hopped a second copious round of pellet hops.

Now I had originally envisioned not going to secondary and leaving it in primary until fermentation has stopped but its day 10 and airlock is still going 2x a minute and the dry hop layer on top is still quite thick, making me rethink grabbing samples for hydrometer readings, and instead maybe wait another bit and transfer to secondary, filter out some of the hop residual in the process and then grab readings as things settle a bit. Its going to be hazy but i dont want it to be chunky and green so I'm thinking secondary is the way to go.

Would off-gassing be this prevalent or is there a chance its still fermenting? I know i wont know for sure unless i take some readings but ive never had a carboy of any ale ive dry hopped still have so much still on the surface.

Any thoughts from others with a similar experience?

Many thanks

most people are packaging neipa on day 10-14 I would not secondary.

airlock activity at this point is likely just co2 release. I would wait 2 more days and package unelss thee is something wrong with your gravity at that point.

I snuck a hydrometer reading out via a sanitized turkey baster because I was curious and I'm going to let it sit another day or two. I appreciate the response. I know folks are split on cold crashing vs not for NE style IPA and DIPA but i think the haze is here to stay and i'd feel better at least letting some of that hop particulate settle out

Latest posts

Back