Advice on first SMaSH APA MO Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Doing my first SMaSH using MO and Centennial. The main question is how does my hopping schedule look? Also, what Mashing Temp would you suggest and why? It's all late additions. Here is the info I got off of Brewer's Friend.

3 Gallon Batch

7# MO
1oz Centennial @ 10
1oz Centennial @ 5
1oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days
US-05

Estimated OG 1.062
Estimated FG 1.016

Estimated ABV 6.11%

Estimated IBU 38.46

Estimated SRM 6.61

To me, the hopping schedule looks good. I think it will impart a very nice aroma and flavor without hitting any harsh bitterness.

As far as mash temps: It's all subject to your personal tastes, of course. Are you looking for a drier beer? Drop it down to 149! Personally, I'd probably go with a higher mash temp... maybe around 155 to leave a little something to balance that bitterness.

Should be a tasty (and somewhat strong) APA. :mug:

Not sure where you're getting your IBU numbers, did you forget a hop addition in there? when i plugged it in, i got 26.9 IBU (assuming the defaulted 10.5AA Centennail that Brewtarget has).

If you weren't planning on a normal 60min boil addition, I'd suggest a First Wort Hop. It won't take much for a 3 gallon batch

Not sure where you're getting your IBU numbers, did you forget a hop addition in there? when i plugged it in, i got 26.9 IBU (assuming the defaulted 10.5AA Centennail that Brewtarget has).

If you weren't planning on a normal 60min boil addition, I'd suggest a First Wort Hop. It won't take much for a 3 gallon batch

I get those IBU due to my efficiency set to 70% with 10AA. I wanted to play around with late additions. I have never used Brewtarget so I am not sure where the issue is here with the difference in IBU. I would be interested to see what Beersmith has to say :mug:

To me, the hopping schedule looks good. I think it will impart a very nice aroma and flavor without hitting any harsh bitterness.

As far as mash temps: It's all subject to your personal tastes, of course. Are you looking for a drier beer? Drop it down to 149! Personally, I'd probably go with a higher mash temp... maybe around 155 to leave a little something to balance that bitterness.

Should be a tasty (and somewhat strong) APA. :mug:

Think I will mash somewhere in the middle, maybe 152?, as I am not sure what I am looking for :cross:

I'm hitting 31 IBU @ 10%AA on the Tinseth formula. 20 IBU from the 10-minute addition and 11 from the 5-minute addition.

I quickly plugged your info into Ale Abacus while I'm here at work and that's what I came up with. (linked here)

Each site / software seems to vary from others a bit, but as far as quick and dirty goes, AA works pretty well for me.

I have a citra Maris smash that turned out great with pretty much same additions,except I do a FWH for bittering one of my favorite beers

Back