Advice on first mead batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswant88

Reaction score
Experienced beer brewer here looking for some advice on my first mead. I made my first batch last weekend. It's a one gallon batch with 3lbs of honey and that's it. I did it all before reading up on the modern mead making techniques.

I used 1/2 a pack of EC-1118, rehydrated in water, no goferm. I added a little fermax yeast nutrient which contains DAP, oxygenated for 2 minutes, and pitched the yeast. It's been left alone for 10 days now. No degassing, no staggered nutrient additions, nothing except swapping the blow-off hose for an airlock. I've since read that meads can take about a year to be ready without the degassing and staggered nutrients, etc.

At this point, should I attempt to speed it along with some degassing and additional nutrients, or would the mead be better off if I give it a few more weeks, rack to secondary, then put in a dark place and forget about it for 6-9 months? I'm sure I should take a gravity reading to try and gauge where it's at before making a decision, what do you think?

My next attempt will use 71b with the proper methods.

A lot of it is from the gases produced during fermentation. Degassing carefully to not add oxygen could help with the off flavors sooner. But the stuff that doesn’t gas out right away will go away with time.

I mean, it’s not gonna hurt to add a little nutrient at this point. You’re likely past the 2/3 sugar break, but if the yeast are hurting for nutrient then it could potentially help relieve them. If it were me, I’d swirl it carefully to try to release as much co2 as possible, like Seamonkey said, then slowly add the nutrient to prevent a geyser.

Yeast cannot assimilate inorganic nitrogen (DAP, etc) after 9% alcohol. With organic nutrient (Fermaid-O) it's about 10%. What they don't consume will be left behind and you will taste it.

Yeast cannot assimilate inorganic nitrogen (DAP, etc) after 9% alcohol. With organic nutrient (Fermaid-O) it's about 10%. What they don't consume will be left behind and you will taste it.

Very good to know. I suppose OP will have to calculate the current ABV and make a decision. Quickly.

Thanks everyone for your input. I took a gravity reading on day 11 and it was right around 9.5% ABV. In light of this, I chose not to add any additional nutrients, since what I have uses DAP. I don’t have any fermaid-o. I did stir to degas a bit and help out the yeasties cross the finish line. I’ll ride it out and see what happens. Lessons have been learned, I’ll do better next batch.

What you made will be fine, just need time to age off flavors. But next batch if you follow tosna or bomm protocol then you’ll have a drinkable product at bottling.

Back