Advice on first barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
Brewing my first barleywine. OG came out low because of unexpectedly low efficiency. OG was 1.098. My best guess is FG will be about 1.025 (9.6%).

I kinda want it to be a 'real' barleywine, so am thinking about adding sugar to bring up the ABV. AND, I figured, while I'm add it, maybe add something a little more interesting than table sugar. Honey, for example.

It's currently fermenting, and at about 1.056.

Any thoughts on when it's best to add the honey? Or other thoughts on my idea in general?

I may also add some whiskey-soaked oak chips to secondary.

If you are limited on fermenter space you can add candi sugar from the pouch without mixing with boiled water. This is how I add it to my Tripples. Doing so will bring down the FG a bit which is what you want in an aged beer(too high of FG can leave food for micro to take hold). I add it when high K is just finished around day 4-5 and keep the blow off on just in case.

This is just the opinion of a barleywine lover. Your OG is too low. You need to up the OG with more malt, not added sugars. Too late for the batch you have now, but in the future you could do a decoction mash. I also strongly recommend a slow, long, stepped mash to produce a wort with maximum fermentability. Also, read everything you can find about fermenting high gravity styles, they can be (and usually are) one of the most difficult ales to brew.

Your OG may not have ended up where you intended but it is still in the "real" barleywine range. I would leave it alone. Next time take into account that you will take a hit on efficiency when making high gravity beers and increase your malt bill. 9.6% is an admirable barleywine. Be happy with it.

One thing I do for a big beer is tip my mash tun on its side, slightly elevate the bottom, and drain into a pan. This generally gets me .75 gallons of 1.050 wort. My false bottom picks up near the bottom, so you probably would get more wort than I do.

Back