Advice on a root beer recipe I just bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney M

Reaction score
Just bottled the “grandpa willies hard root beer” this site has. Completely new to brewing still. After about 8-9 hours of carbing in bottles, they were all actually over carbed. Do I just need to uncap and recap as I did or is there an infection. As I’m not sure what these “gusher” terms are.
For example, I tried open my test bottle and it all quickly rises to top so I rescrew cap. To be sure I tried beer bottle and it all started over pouring the sides.

I was very careful to sanitize everything. The only thing I can think of is when I realized I forgot the vanilla and opened all the bottles, put in the 1/10ths in each and recapped.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Also, like others that mentioned in that thread. My FG was at 1.018 if that helps with anything.

Just bottled the “grandpa willies hard root beer” this site has. Completely new to brewing still. After about 8-9 hours of carbing in bottles, they were all actually over carbed. Do I just need to uncap and recap as I did or is there an infection. As I’m not sure what these “gusher” terms are.
For example, I tried open my test bottle and it all quickly rises to top so I rescrew cap. To be sure I tried beer bottle and it all started over pouring the sides.

I was very careful to sanitize everything. The only thing I can think of is when I realized I forgot the vanilla and opened all the bottles, put in the 1/10ths in each and recapped.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Also, like others that mentioned in that thread. My FG was at 1.018 if that helps with anything.

Got a link to the recipe? (I'm lazy) The only bottle bombs I've ever had was with root beer, made from McCormick's RB Concentrate, a ton of sugar, and fresh bread yeast back when fresh yeast was still a thing.

What happens if you chill them in the fridge down to about 35 degrees? That should reduce the pressure and *almost* stop the fermentation. It might be ready to drink by tomorrow.

Back