Advice needed rehydrated yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedFan

Reaction score
I rehydrated some yeast this afternoon at about 5:30. It is 9 now.

I am waiting for my wort to come down to pitching temp. Last check it was at 80 degrees.

I realize it's not ideal to let rehydrated yeast just sit around, so I just poured about half of a hydrometer tube into the yeast.

Realistically the wort will not be cooled down to below 72 degrees until the morning. What can I do to keep my rehydrated wort viable ??

The yeast is Nottingham by danstar if that matters.

You have begun a starter adding wort to the rehydrated dry yeast. I would add another half liter of your wort, diluted with sanitized water to a SG of 1.020, and let the starter work overnight. Pitch the entire starter tomorrow.

1.020 SG will probably avoid a hot fermentation producing off flavors.

You have begun a starter adding wort to the rehydrated dry yeast. I would add another half liter of your wort, diluted with sanitized water to a SG of 1.020, and let the starter work overnight. Pitch the entire starter tomorrow.

1.020 SG will probably avoid a hot fermentation producing off flavors.

Ok.

I have the yeast covered with Saran Wrap now

This is probably the better option as opposed to pitching the yeast in 78 degree wort right?

78° would be to warm. The Notty would go nuts.

Ended up pitching it at 76 because the temps are supposed to drop to 40 degrees tonight

As it was 60 in my house this morning. I'm hoping that helps drop the temp as fermentation takes off

Edit: I will also give it an extra week in the primary to give any off flavors a chance to disappear

Ended up pitching it at 76 because the temps are supposed to drop to 40 degrees tonight

As it was 60 in my house this morning. I'm hoping that helps drop the temp as fermentation takes off

Still much to warm I'm afraid, especially for Notty.

Edit: I will also give it an extra week in the primary to give any off flavors a chance to disappear

Off-flavors from pitching/starting too warmly may or may not fade away with time, but you may consider thinking in terms of extra weeks (perhaps even months) of bottle conditioning rather than just an extra week in the fermenter.

Still much to warm I'm afraid, especially for Notty.

Off-flavors from pitching/starting too warmly may or may not fade away with time, but you may consider thinking in terms of extra weeks (perhaps even months) of bottle conditioning rather than just an extra week in the fermenter.

Fwiw I went down and checked the temp 6 hours after I pitched the yeast and the fermentation thermometer said 70 degrees

Latest posts

Back