Advice needed: Chiropractic BioPhysics, anyone heard about this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
So I got suckered into a free dinner/sales pitch for a chriopractor in town and at the end of the pitch he was offering a $20 exam. The exam included x-rays and an evaluation. The results of such were basically a scare tactic "if you don't get this fixed it's going to get worse and then you'll die". Not that extreme, but pretty close. Anyway, I have some back pain issues so I ended up hearing the guy out. The whole thing is constant adjustments and exercises to attempt to fix the curvature of the spine. For me it was 4 times a week for 9 weeks. Every so many weeks the treatments progress in intensity. At the end, the result is supposed to be a spine that curves to a more ideal baseline.

Anyway, bottom line is this thing is going to cost over $2,000 and I'm not sure if it is actually going to help me at all or not. Like I said, I do have some back pain and bad posture and would love to get those issues fixed but not sure if this is the correct route to take. Anyone have any input?

Be extremely suspicious of anything that involves your health and any combination of a) free dinner b) sales pitch/hard sell c) introductory low price offer.

Go to an MD. If the MD recommends going to a chiropractor, do it. But don't give this yahoo $2,000 based on a sales pitch.

Not necessarily a scam IMO, but definitely way more intense and expensive than I would ever accept.

What type of back pain do you have? Mechanical or strain/sprain? Or is it related to DDD, or disc buldge, or...?

If it's muscular pain, ignore the chiro entirely. Go to a physiotherapist.

If it's DDD, disc bulge etc... again, ignore the chiro, because they can't do anything about a genetically-related symptom. Additionally, minimal spinal curvature abnormality (scoliosis) is not going to cause you any problems. It's only when the curvature is more acutely pronounced that it can begin to cause you issues.

I personally think chiro is a pseudo-science and kind of scammy in general, but that's just my personal opinion.

I personally think chiro is a pseudo-science and kind of scammy in general, but that's just my personal opinion...

Agreed! The last one I went to used an "activator" on me and right then I know it was BS! Massage? Yupper, I am good with that but not voo-doo...

Yeah, I saw that yesterday which is what really got me thinking about this whole thing.

Anything that ties together several different scientific terms to create a new word, and then is promoted via a "free dinner" falls somewhere on the spectrum between Useless/Harmless and Useless/Harmful (IMO). It pretty much has every possible red flag of pure pseudo science.

Consider this. How many real doctors do you know who offer free dinner with a sales pitch to get more patients?

From somebody with a messed up back: Go to an MD and try to get an MRI. Until you see what is going on, it's all somebody's guess. Also x rays will not tell you much.

I'm not promoting chiropractics as a cure-all (like some people I know), but recently my daughter had some severe back pain and the doctor wasn't going to see her for over a week. To get any kind of relief.

He did a manipulation and used some sort of falling table to adjust the spine and a pocket sized device to pop into the neck and relax the muscles.

All in all I think there was some questionable methods, but the twisting and heat applied likely relaxed the muscles and she did say she felt immediate relief. He also diagnosed a strain and gave exercises and to apply heat to certain areas, but not others. I think she's been feeling much better after that one visit.

Well worth the $50 initial consultation with no required follow-up.

I'm not sure what he did was any better than a massage, which we wanted to do, but it being around the holidays all of the massage therapists in the area were away or booked.

I'd be wary of any person who wants to schedule a recurring visit that totals that much. It's possible that the initial manipulation will make you feel some relief, and that will convince you to keep coming back for the promised "cure". I'd visit a Doctor and see if they recommend a scan, or physical therapy or something that might prove to be as effective.

I visited a chiropractor briefly for my back pain. It DID make me feel better, but only for a couple days. His solution was pretty much, "yeah come back in once a week for the rest of your life."

Yeah, you would like that, wouldn't you. bless that.

I visited a chiropractor briefly for my back pain. It DID make me feel better, but only for a couple days. His solution was pretty much, "yeah come back in once a week for the rest of your life."

Yeah, you would like that, wouldn't you. bless that.
Buddy and I were talking about that - he was in his mid-20's before he ever went to the chiropracter. He is now of the opinion that once you start going, you'll never be able to stop.

I go to a chiropractor at times.

I'm not a very good patient, as I don't go once a month or whatever but I go when I feel I "need" to.

It helps a lot with my overdeveloped right scapula, and my neck stiffness. I also do a little yoga, and eat healthy and take care of myself.

I have some curvature in my spine (born that way), but no one has attempted to "fix" it. That has me suspicious for sure.

I'd visit a different chiropractor, a more traditional one, for a consult to see what he/she says. You can take your x-rays with you, so you won't need them redone. I'd also visit an MD/DO to see what they have to say.

Chiropractic care does work for many things, like low back pain and neck pain. It's NOT going to keep you safe from viruses (I heard that one by a practitioner once) or any other miraculous claims.

Former practicing chiropractor here. Here are my thoughts on what has been said / asked by the OP and others.

Free dinners - one office I was with did these, and I was the speaker at most of them. We viewed it as education and marketing. Most people don't know what chiropractic is and how it may be able to help them, so we talked about that. That's the education piece. We did offer a free exam and x-rays and encouraged people to sign up. That's the marketing. Not everyone would of course, and even then not everyone showed up. But many did. I would always give a professional opinion as to what I felt they needed for their care. Occasionally I felt I couldn't help someone, and I told them that and referred them to the professional that I thought could help them.

Multiple visits for extended periods of time - It is not uncommon to require more frequent visits at the beginning of care. We are working on correcting the problem and the body can take some time to respond and begin healing. Kind of like stopping a train and reversing its direction, or the law of inertia. However, that period should not be indefinite. For the way I practiced, it may mean 3-5 times per week for 1-2 weeks depending on the level of severity or acuteness of the problem. This then would be followed by a decrease in treatment frequency over a period of time, coupled with re-evaluations until the patient reached their optimum level of improvement. Which brings up the point that not everyone can be "cured" or made to be 100%. If it has taken years to get to the point where symptoms have made you seek treatment, it may not be possible to obtain a 100% improvement due to the degenerative changes that have taken place. Or if it was an injury, there may be damage that was done that can never be made "normal" again. That does not mean that you can't become symptom free and live normally. Just like a torn ACL that is repaired - you will be able to function normally (or close to it), but it will never be the same.

As for ongoing period treatment (or maintenance care) - This is how I explained it to patients: Just like exercise and /or dieting to get into shape, lose weight, etc. - once you reach your goal, you don't just stop. If you hire a personal trainer to get you into shape, do you think he / she would tell you to quit the gym once you achieved your goals? Wouldn't they recommend still checking in with them maybe once a month or a few times a year for evaluation to see if you are still on track? You have to continue to do something to maintain your gains. Just as you should maintain your car, house, brewing equipment (had to relate it to beer somehow!), you should maintain your body. This also includes whatever routine medical exams / tests are recommended at your age. I never could understand why people thought that this was an odd concept, or that the Dr. was trying to "take your money forever". A concerned medical Dr. is going to recommend taking care of your health, so why is odd that a concerned chiropractic Dr. is recommending the same thing?

And chiropractors that claim that they can treat anything - in general I would not recommend them. Chiropractic can help a lot of things, and can help your body be more healthy, but it cannot do everything. Just as your MD can't do everything either.

And like anything else in life - one person does not speak for the whole profession. If this guy doesn't make you comfortable, then seek a second opinion. The world if full of people that aren't good at what they do. Be it an athlete, mechanic, IT person, investment banker, medical doctor or chiropractor. But there are people who are good at what they do in every profession too. Seek one of those out and don't let the bad ones spoil it for those that do it right.

I'll get off my soap box now. Hope this was helpful in some way.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I appreciate the insight. I kinda rushed into signing paperwork and am already a week in on the treatments. There is a decent cancellation fee so I think I'm going to stick it out. The way I see it is it's 36 visits / $2,000 which equals out to a little over $50 a visit so it's not that bad price-wise. I'm skeptical but I guess doing something is better than doing nothing.

My back pain I believe is more from my poor posture than anything else. If this guy can help me fix my posture than it is worth it in my book. I've had an MRI done in the past and the doc that looked at it found nothing wrong with my back. The pain itself is very mild, just enough for me to know that it is there so I feel that if I were able to correct my posture I'm sure the pain would go away.

The guy's office has numerous good reviews on Google so either he is getting these people to write good reviews for him in return for something or he is doing a decent job. I'm usually better with not being gullible and getting suckered into something but what he was saying made a lot of sense to me on my issues. Some of the stuff he said though to me sounded like absolute b.s. The claims he made about spine correction being able to cure a lot of ailments to me threw some red flags.

Anyway, long story short, I suppose I'll stick it out and see how it goes. I have no desire to continue after the 36 treatments if that is the suggestion. If it does help than great, if not I will blast him and his practice on the internet just like any good internet troll would do. Guess all I wanted out of this was some perspective since there is not a lot of information floating around on the interwebs.

So they lock you in with a cancellation fee? Wow, that seems kind of ******. I can see cancelling within so many days, but to ding you for deciding not to get your back cracked seems pretty rude.

So they lock you in with a cancellation fee? Wow, that seems kind of ******. I can see cancelling within so many days, but to ding you for deciding not to get your back cracked seems pretty rude.

Not really a cancellation fee per say but a charge for services rendered at full price, of which I've already had 5 sessions and been given "take home equipment". If I were to guess the fee if I cancelled now would be somewhere around $500.

Pre paid plans of any kind can seem shady to me, no matter what it is for. Unless it is a product or service that you already know about. It really is a salesman technique. Some practice management organizations push harder on the salesmanship than on appropriate treatments for each patient.

Chances are his techniques are good, and you will show improvement (as you mentioned that you have). I guess in the end you will have to see how it works for you.

I will add that the average cost per visit is not excessive, so if you go the full 36 visits, that seems like a fair price.

As far as a negative MRI - they don't the whole story. They can't see how good or bad the function of your spine is, so a negative report does not mean that nothing is wrong.

This was one of those "small world" things, but I went to chiropractor today whom I hadn't seem before.

I had been to his practice when he was out of town, so I was new to him even though I wasn't a brand new patient. (This is in Texas, where we spend part of the winter).

Anyway, he mentioned that I had greater muscle development on the right side of my back. I told him that it wasn't that I lift, but that I brew and I'm strongly right handed and I've been overdeveloped on that side as a result. (I'm pretty small- 135 pounds and a size 4- even on the small side for a girl). I told him I brew 10 gallon batches and even with pumps, there is a lot of heavy lifting.

He stopped what he was doing, sat down on the stool, and looked at me. He said, "I just got a brew kit from Northern Brewer for Christmas, and I love IPAs! Can I call you if I have a brewing question?" I said sure. But I didnt give him a homebrewtalk business card as I didn't have any on me.

I was so afraid to get a lecture on alcohol................and instead I met a new brewing buddy!

Anyway, he was a Palmer grad chiropractor, pretty much exactly what I wanted/needed and I'll go back in a month or so for a maintenance appointment.

I went to pilates yesterday, and then on a long kayak paddle to follow, so I wasn't really "out" but a little stiff for sure. I'm good now!

Your health and well being is definitely the most important thing, as if you don't have that, you don't have anything. So get healthy and strong, and pain free!

I dont want to come out and say I am anti-chiro, but I am anti-chiro. I went when I was in my early 20s bc of severe back pain and sciatica. I had x rays and whatnot, a few treatment, and never saw any real improvement. I have been in the healthcare imaging field for 8 years now and knowing what I know now, I was either lied to or the chiro was a complete moron (even though he is supposed to be some highly accredited doc).

He gave me the general diagnosis of spondololyis, which in fact I had a sacralized L5 so I really just have 4 lumbar vertebrae with the 5th congenitally fused to my S1. This has caused a herniation of my L4 and L5, along with congenital DDD. None of this was mentioned (I since found out from multiple MRIs and consults with a neuro group). The chiros pressed on (at the time) saying they would relieve all the pain eventually and heal me etc....

Since then, after speaking to some neuro colleagues, a well renowned neurosurgeon, two spinal ortho docs (who typically will do sx on anyone), I was told to not do a thing.

Yeah it sucked being in my mid 20s not being able to walk at times, or having to crawl up the stairs bc I was in so much pain because I have no discs left between vertebrae... My wife found me crying at the top of the stairs one night bc I couldnt even make it to the bedroom.

But what the MDs told me has come true. Avoid sx at all cost, and build a stronger core since I workout weekly. I havent had a flare up in almost a year, and Ive been dealing with this since I was 19.

My last take on chiros is this. I work with my ex's twin. We are still pretty close so I know her family well. Her sister (34yo) has since suffered two strokes due to her neck getting "tweaked" which caused a vertebral artery dissection. While her outcome is far better than most stroke patients and she doesnt really have any deficits, I will pass on the psuedo medicine and rely on the docs who spent years getting to their fields and tenure.

Back