Lessons Learned from my first BIAB.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ungoliant

Reaction score
Okay, folks, I'm sure a lot of you have already made a some of these mistakes or had similar issues, so this post isn't meant to insult anyone's intelligence. They are, however, some things I wish I would have researched a bit more or had considered before making the jump to all-grain. Anyway, I'm going to give a short narrative, then list out the issues I had followed by some recommendations/solutions to the issues I had. I'm going to make a separate post about my stuck fermentation in the proper forum, but I'll summarize here.

For my first batch, I brewed the following recipe, 5 gal:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=139078

1) I heated my strike water too high. I lost track of my temp for just a hair while I was waiting for my water to hit the right temp, and ended up about 10 degrees higher than my target strike temp (172 vs 162). I went ahead ahead and mashed in. I use an insulator for my pot, and the temp stabilized at 156 within the first 1/2 hour, and held it there for the rest of the duration.

Solutions/Recommendations: Cut the heat, and wait for the temp to drop to the proper strike temperature...Do what you have to, but strike at the right temp, mash at the right temp! I could have saved myself a lot of headaches this way.

2) I didn't drain my grains long/well enough. I have a Brew Bag (brewinabag.com) that I use, and I didn't really have a system prepared to strain/drain. I ended up sanitizing a milk crate, and suspending that over the kettle to let it drain, and I was also able to use the crate to squeeze the grains in. I was being impatient, so I didn't really give the grains time to drain out all the way, and wasn't very thorough with squeezing the bag out. I ended up with a grain absorption rate of .08 gal/lb.

Solutions/Recommendations: My next BIAB, which was a week later, I was able to get my grain absorption rate down to .0556 gal/lb by letting them drain longer, and being much more thorough about squeezing the bag.

3) I did a full volume boil, starting with around 6 gallons, and boiled too vigorously. I ended up with a fermentor volume of 4 1/4 gal. I let my Bayou Classic Outdoor Patio Burner run full-bore for the whole boil, and ended up boiling off way more than I intended. The intended OG was supposed to be 1.086, and I ended up with 1.104.

Solutions/Recommendations: On the second BIAB previously mentioned, I tuned my burner down wayyy low after I hit the hot break, and maintained a nice lazy boil and only boiled off about a gallon (nailed my fermentor volume). Also, I could have topped up on water, but the idea didn't occur to me at the time. I now have campden tablets on hand just for that purpose.

4) Stuck fermentation. I pitched this batch with 2 packets of Safale S-04, and ended up with a really mild, uneventful fermentation. All my other batches had some pretty insane fermentations (one actually blew off about 1 gallon, another exploded in my closet). After about a week, it got stuck at a SG of 1.053. After about a week and a half of messing around with different solutions, pitching extra yeast (Safbrew S-33), I ended up making a trip to my local HBS, and purchased some Amylase. Amylase did the trick, and it finished at 1.025 just today.

Solutions/Recommendations: Keep thorough brewing notes, and review them when you have issues to help you isolate the problem. I have a tendency to wing it, now that I have a hang of the overall beer making process, and it really bit me in the ass this time. I tried multiple solutions to unstick this batch and I ended up about 2 1/2 weeks off-schedule. What it really was just a result of striking at too high of a temp, killing the conversion process and I ended up with a ton of unfermentables.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I learned this time with y'all, and I hope this helps some folks looking in to making the jump to All Grain/BIAB.

Most of the notes for this one are in my head...I think if I had written the high mash temp on paper, I could have had a "eureka" moment looking at it when it got stuck, instead of screwing around for an extra week and a half. The ferm post is up, by the way.

2) I use a brew kettle with a basket. Grain bag goes into the basket. Once mash is complete I lift the basket and slide a metal microwave shelf onto the top of the kettle and set the basket on it to drain. It works great and is very easy. First batch I used a step ladder with rope and pulley. Only did that once. :)

Yeah I think investing in a basket would be ideal. I could use an implement to squeeze the bag that way instead of having to wrestle with the milk crate.

1) I heated my strike water too high.

Solutions/Recommendations: Take some water out, add cold water back to the kettle, stir the crap out of it. Then heat it back up to strike temp. Takes a bit more work to do this but it's faster.

2) I didn't drain my grains long/well enough.

Solutions/Recommendations: Sounds like you figured this out already.

3) I did a full volume boil, starting with around 6 gallons, and boiled too vigorously.

Solutions/Recommendations: find a good boil vigor, and keep that constant to the best of your ability.

4) Stuck fermentation.

Solutions/Recommendations: More likely with big beers, there's a whole host of possible reasons.

What did you use to determine your water volumes?

Both my kettle and fermenters have gallon markings. 1/4, 1/2, or 1/10 measurements are eyeballed but I like to think I'm pretty good at eyeballing.

I took pre-boil and post-boil measurements, so the surface of the water was still.

I took pre-boil and post-boil measurements, so the surface of the water was still.

He's asking not because the turbulence of boiling, but because water expands with warmer temperatures, decreasing its density. A volume reading at 210F will be considerably higher than that at 70F even though the mass (pounds) will still be the same.

Make sense?

Great Thread !! I think I now know why my 1st All-Grain BIAG had issues during Ferm.. I too Mashed in way too high.

Good post, I just finished my first brew also.

Some stuff we had in common.

1- Strike/mash temp to high.
Be patient and wait for it to drop, I think I may have had this problem also because my thermometer sucks.

2- Problem holding the biab bag out of the kettle with my barehands
Buy a colander that fit the top of your kettle, let the bag sit there.

3- fermentation got stuck at 1.027, FG is supposed to be 1.016.
I am waiting 1 more week, and took a sample outside to try and ferment it with some bread yeast, to see if the problem is the wort or the yeast.
At worst I will try beano if the problem is the wort.

4- Bad yeast management
I just dropped the yeast directly on top of the cooled wort. this was not optional and fermentation took 1day to start and was really slow. I will try to rehydrate it next time to save time and make sure the yeast is healthy

Have you used Beano before? I would recommend maybe looking at amylase instead of Beano. From what I've read, Beano can dry the crap out of your beer and potentially end up with bottle bombs because there's no metric to know when it will finish what it's doing.

For that matter, what was your mash process for that brew?

Prop mash temp is pretty crucial from what I understand. It helps determine how "fermentable" your wort is. Maybe that's why you had a stuck fermentation.

Finally I did not use Beano for my batch. I will bottle tomorrow, beer is now in the fridge with a FG of 1.022, close enough to the target 1.016.

Here is the recipe I was following:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghfqvwjb4b9af1u/1088 2014 BIAB IPA Recipe.pdf?dl=0

Mash was at 154F, I added the wort when the water was at 166F (Strike). I did reheat a few time to keep the wort at 154F

Thanks for the tips guys, next time I guess I will start with a lower Strike temp and make sure my yeast is healthy and rehydrated. This beer is not a waste at least!

No that is not "close enough" to your fg... if your fg is not reached and completely stable, you will have bottle bombs. Wait another week, if it hasn't changed then it might be okay to proceed to bottling but that's an offly high fg and I wouldn't risk bottle bombs.

No that is not "close enough" to your fg... if your fg is not reached and completely stable, you will have bottle bombs. Wait another week, if it hasn't changed then it might be okay to proceed to bottling but that's an offly high fg and I wouldn't risk bottle bombs.

Thanks for the info. The gravity has not changed much since 6 days. I think last was 1.025 6 days ago but I may have misread.
I will bottle in PET Bottle this time not to risk bottle bomb, also may go a bit lower on the sugar..
Thanks

Back