Advice for variation on Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajl

Reaction score
I followed Sam Calagiones recipe in Extreme Brewing and it came out great. I do want to experiment by adding a subtle vanilla flavor. I'm looking for advice on how and when to add extract or beans. I've done some searching on the topic and found folks soaking the beans in Vodka. How long should they soak? I was hoping to brew tonight...

Thanks,
Aaron

I haven't had much experience on extraction specifically with vanilla bean, but just about anything else in vodka I give it 2 weeks.

I usually soak them in Vodka just long enough to sanitize, maybe 1/2 hour or so. The beer will extract the vanilla flavor. Soak in just a little vodka and pour the vanilla and vodka in so you don't lose what the vodka's extracted. I do this after primary fermentation is complete to keep the flavor true.

I usually soak them in Vodka just long enough to sanitize, maybe 1/2 hour or so. The beer will extract the vanilla flavor. Soak in just a little vodka and pour the vanilla and vodka in so you don't lose what the vodka's extracted. I do this after primary fermentation is complete to keep the flavor true.

i believe that you need to only have the beans in beer for a certain amount of time. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks, searching around I've found people using anywhere between one and four beans. How should I determine quantity? Right now I'm thinking two beans cut lengthwise and soaked in vodka for a couple weeks (I've got the time if it's not going into the fermenter) and added to my secondary?

Back