Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale Clone - Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoleyBrew

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'll be brewing this AHS Indian Brown Ale over the weekend:

https://austinhomebrew.com/assets/images/RCPPDF/03019.pdf
The hops for this recipe seem a little light to me. It's a 10 HBU pack at 60 minutes and 1 oz Hallertau at boil out. I have left-over Palisade and Warrior hops from a different batch. Would either of those hops go well with this brew? If so, how would you recommend them being used?

Thanks, and appreciate any responses.

You may be confusing HBU and IBU?

HBUs help us get consistent bittering by taking into account alpha acid content of a specific hop batch. 10HBU may be 1oz of 10% hops or 2oz of 5%.

IBUs will tell you the bitterness of the beer. That 10HBU packet will give different IBUs in the same kettle of wort depending on how long it boils.

You could use one of the many recipe building softwares or spreadsheets, drop in the kit info, and get an IBU.

You may be confusing HBU and IBU?

HBUs help us get consistent bittering by taking into account alpha acid content of a specific hop batch. 10HBU may be 1oz of 10% hops or 2oz of 5%.

IBUs will tell you the bitterness of the beer. That 10HBU packet will give different IBUs in the same kettle of wort depending on how long it boils.

You could use one of the many recipe building softwares or spreadsheets, drop in the kit info, and get an IBU.
Thanks for the explanation. This is my first time ordering from AHB and seeing the HBU pack.

Back