Advice for upgrading my setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKoroniak

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to brewing, but I started all-in with doing 5 gal batches of AG brews. I've been really pleased with the results and have been fortunate enough to save up 300-400$ to invest in improving my brew setup. I was hoping all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum could give me some suggestions as how I best spend that money (i.e., what will improve the beer, the quantity of the batch, or make brewing easier).

My current setup is as follows:

1. Coleman's 13 gallon cooler for mashing, modified with a copper pipe manifold draining the wort through a 1/2" valve into the boil kettle through a food grade plastic tube.

2. An 8 gallon aluminum pot for boiling the wort, heated with the bayou classic propane burner.

3. Home made wort-chiller, made with copper tubing from home depot, running ice water from another cooler through the wort chiller submersed in the boil kettle full of wort.

4. Plastic fermentation bucket (I like carboys but I have a hard time getting them super clean afterwards, I often use them for secondary if need-be), with the standard airlock, the spigot at the bottom for removing the beer, and of course a little wooden dolly to move the bucket around when it's heavy and in the way.

5. Bottling wand for filling up swing-top bottles and normal capped beer bottles (of which I have 12 1L swing tops, and 24 500mL swing tops).

I was considering getting into kegging my beer, I've also been looking at the conical fermenters, plate chillers, upgrading to something that could handle 10 gallon batches, or even getting a mini-fridge for either kegs or for lagering beer. With so many attractive options on the table, I was hoping for some guidance from a few experienced brewers!

Thanks!

I'm using an infrared temperature gun to measure the temperature of the plastic bucket and the area around it and assuming 5-7 degrees F hotter inside the bucket. To reduce temps I use wet cloths or ice packs if necessary. The fermentation takes place in a closet so it is somewhat enclosed.

As a side note, since I forgot to mention it: I use a probe thermometer to keep track of mash temperature (the kind you stick in meat while its in the oven and it beeps if you reach a set temperature).

I have a very similar setup to you, except I have a keggle in place of your 8 Gal pot, and I use a submersible pond pump to circulate chilling water. My next upgrade will be a fermentation chamber. Probably get a CraigsList mini-fridge, build it out with plywood and foam, and build the famous eBay aquarium temperature controller. And then I'd probably build a stir-plate and get some nice flasks for making starters. This is all pretty inexpensive, but would be a big upgrade providing you have the room for a fermentation chamber.

The pump is a cheap upgrade (I paid $25 for the EcoPlus 396 and it works really well through my 1/2" IC). I think the keggle is probably the cheapest 15 Gal SS boil kettle you can find, even after you add a pick-up tube, valve and bulkhead (I got all that from BargainFittings). That'd free you up to do bigger batches and you'd probably still have some money left over for ingredients. Of course, there's some dodgy ethics behind the most popular method of obtaining kegs.

I would second those that have mentioned the fermentation chamber.

I found a kenmore "upright" freezer on Craigslist for $100, slapped on a johnson analog controller and built a shelf... viola.. Instant controlled fermentation temp for (4) 6.5 gallon carboys. Greatly improved my consistency.

I would second those that have mentioned the fermentation chamber.

I found a kenmore "upright" freezer on Craigslist for $100, slapped on a johnson analog controller and built a shelf... viola.. Instant controlled fermentation temp for (4) 6.5 gallon carboys. Greatly improved my consistency.

If you have the space, I think this would be the single best thing you could do to improve your beer.

1) Controlling fermentation temps. Lots of ways to do this.
2) Bigger kettle so you can brew 10 gallon batches.
3) Kegging equipment so you can obliterate any money you have left.

I would keg before moving to 10 gal batches. Bottling 100 bottles of the same beer seems like it would not be too fun.

Words of wisdom tesilential...

I'm reluctant to upgrade to 10gal batches until I have a few more recipes that consistently turn out great (which the fermentation chamber might help with), and until I get the air intake on my burner just right. Currently, the bayou classic takes at least an 45-60m to get the 6 or so gallons to a boil. I can't imagine how long it would take for 12.

Ok, after way too many hours browsing the threads here the fermentation chamber seems like the way to go. I figure I can build myself a half-way decent one for under 150-175 depending on the cost of the mini-fridge. That leaves some extra spending money left-over, although now I'm tempted by all these cool builds using a HERMS system. Anyone have a good idea what building one of these might cost?

It depends on if you figure in "time" as a cost. Luckily, I had space in my garage for a freezer. With a temp controller, it's all plug and play.

I like some of the mini fridge conversions but my freezer conversion required less time.

Edit... just realized you were talking about $$$ for a HERMS. That is going to be considerably more.

I'd go with a fridge, fermwrap, carboys, fridge and a dual stage temp controller for fermentation temp control. Then I'd do a kegerator off of craigslist and some corny kegs and a dual pressure regulator.

I've been thinking about herms for my setup but really I have no trouble hitting my mash temps, it isn't going to make my beer taste better, and it is expensive. So I'm going to wait on herms. Other things to think of: buy grains in bulk, vacuum sealer and get hops in bulk, a good thermometer, big flask and stir plate for starters.

Back