Advice for those who pick hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Wear long sleeves.

wk4qrk.jpg

[Yes that's my forearm].

MC

Throw some neosporin on that. It will feel much better. I slather it on like it were sunscreen after a day of harvesting.

I put on athelete's foot ointment, it has anti-b's, anti-fungal and aloe. Feels better.

Hops were picked Saturday, and I was brewing in the heat yesterday. The sweat was brutal in those wounds. Doing better today though.

MC

I've heard that some shirts have these things called "sleeves" that tend to help... :D

I expected this to be a picture of 1000s of mosquito bites because that's what always gets me while harvesting. I have to wait until after to harvest and the cooler evening air has the mosquitoes ready for dinner.

I've heard that some shirts have these things called "sleeves" that tend to help... :D

I expected this to be a picture of 1000s of mosquito bites because that's what always gets me while harvesting. I have to wait until after to harvest and the cooler evening air has the mosquitoes ready for dinner.

SC weather in the mid-90's is not conducive to anyone wearing much of anything, especially sleeves or long pants!

Well yes there was drinking involved all along :mug:

I would have figured that going up a 16-ft step-ladder would have been the risky part. Turned out I was wrong.

My friend also picked hops for about the same amount of time, and she has none of the shown irritation. I must be allergic to the sumac in the stems on the hops.

MC

I wear something similar to this when I pick. Its like another layer of skin does not make me any hotter. The shirt I have is camo so I blend it so nobody can find me.

I was gonna ask if you got in a fight with a cat in between plants. I've not heard of people having this reaction. I sure dont.

Greetings hop growers. Been at it since '96. For irritated skin I use aloe with lidocaine. Fast relief.

Oh, I get a reaction, but it's nowhere near that livid at its worst. And it resolves in an hour or so, not that big a deal. Still, at harvest time I wear a long sleeve rip-stop nylon shirt (it doesn't stick to the bines)...

Cheers!

I was gonna ask if you got in a fight with a cat in between plants. I've not heard of people having this reaction. I sure dont.

A co-worker at the office today wondered if I had tried to give a feral Maine Coon cat a bath...

Apparently another member of the club got a similar reaction but much lesser - he also picked much less hops. I picked 3 Wal-Mart bags full.

It was a first time for me picking hops, so lesson learnt. My right arm, which spent most of the time hanging on for dear life to the 16-ft step-ladder, didn't suffer that fate at all, not one bit.

MC

Oww! I get the scratches and also my skin gets irritated by the hop bines. I'm a pale, pale man with sensitive, delicate skin.

I've never had any scratches like that, always pick with short sleeves, no gloves. Sometimes my arms get a little itchy after I harvest but not for long. I have fairly sensitive skin too.

allergic reactions, some gettem, some don't.
lesson be learned & take precautions in the future.
in the meantime medicate with homebrew.

Do you look equally foreboding?
I wish I was in that good shape. I am a middle age male that drinks to much and doesn't exercise enough. By any means I am not a fat slob but my idea of weight lifting is 16 oz. decreasing curls.

Haha....you just HAD TO point that out, didn't you? As soon as I hit send, i realized my mistake and figured "No one is that anal". Gueas I shoulda changed it lol.

Pappers_ said:
Oww! I get the scratches and also my skin gets irritated by the hop bines. I'm a pale, pale man with sensitive, delicate skin.

Damn......Chuck Norris should be kicking your a$$ any moment now.

I don't know how you treat your plants, but mine HUG me when I go picking! I've never seen such a thing as what you have! ... angry hops indeed!

what variety of hop did that to you? Reason I ask is that my Centennials will give me similar rashes but Goldings do not

I feel your pain Misplaced Canucck

This was my arm last year

2012-09-24%2012.36.15.jpg

I had to pick the hops off a friends arch way used for decoration, so i couldnt tear the plants down. And because of that i had to get on a small step stool and reach into t he plant to get at some of the hops that werent over way past their prime.

Back