Advice for Lagering with Big Mouth Bubbler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a lager next weekend and I have never lagered before. I plan on using Saflager W-34/70 and fermenting at 50 degrees for about 2 weeks. Going to bring the temp up to 64 for a diacetyl rest for 2 days, then lager around 32 degrees(whatever is the coldest my my mini fridge can get) for 2-3 weeks. From there it will go to keg. I am going to ferment in a 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth bubbler and my concern is when I start lagering concerning potential oxidation from air suck back through the air lock. I have an S-shaped airlock. Do I not worry and lager as is? Should I transfer to my 5 gallon big mouth bubbler before lagering to reduce headspace? Any other recommendations?

Also, after I keg it, is it ok to sit at room temperature for a month or two while the other kegs in rotation get emptied?

As always, thanks in advance!

If you lager in a fermenter just make sure you have a few psi to combat suckback . If you don't have a way to do that I'd just lager it in the keg. What is your timeline for lagering ?

You don't want to transfer beer any more then you have to .

I agree with lagering in the keg. No real need to leave it in the fermenter with potential for exposure to air. Yes you can store it at room temp for a few weeks

If you lager in a fermenter just make sure you have a few psi to combat suckback . If you don't have a way to do that I'd just lager it in the keg. What is your timeline for lagering ?

You don't want to transfer beer any more then you have to .
My only problem with lagering in the keg is that my fermentation chamber isn't tall enough to hold a keg, and my kegerator holds only 2 kegs(1 beer keg, 1 cider for the SO). The misses would not agree with no cider for three weeks, and I don't think I could go 3 without homebrew! I currently can't ferment under pressure. I am planning on fermenting 2 weeks, diacetyl rest, lagering for three weeks, warming it up and dry hopping for 3-5 days. My current plan is to ferment in my 6.5 gallon fermenter, transfer to my 5 gallon fermenter for lagering, lager, dry hop, then keg. I wish I could skip the transfer, but not sure how I could with my current set up.

My only problem with lagering in the keg is that my fermentation chamber isn't tall enough to hold a keg, and my kegerator holds only 2 kegs(1 beer keg, 1 cider for the SO). The misses would not agree with no cider for three weeks, and I don't think I could go 3 without homebrew! I currently can't ferment under pressure. I am planning on fermenting 2 weeks, diacetyl rest, lagering for three weeks, warming it up and dry hopping for 3-5 days. My current plan is to ferment in my 6.5 gallon fermenter, transfer to my 5 gallon fermenter for lagering, lager, dry hop, then keg. I wish I could skip the transfer, but not sure how I could with my current set up.

Sounds like you need a bigger kegerator lol. Just tell the SO you need a kegerator or she's gonna be wo cider for a bit lol.....jk

All you really need is to be able to keep the psi about 2 during your lagering , just to keep the fv from sucking in o2. You don't need much psi at all. You could do the Ballon trick . However if you could rig up a way to connect the co2 to your 6 gallon that be the way.

If it's still questionable I'd look at either waiting to brew the lager until the timing is better , or bottle the cider in bombers then you have a free keg to lager . Unless the beer keg has less then the cider keg , then just bottle the beer instead.
Sorry if I'm not very clear .

Update: Cold crash guardian has been installed and the lager is slowly bubbling away. The bag is slowly filling. Thanks again for the advice!

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Back