Advantages of secondary racking a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugyD

Reaction score
I've had my first stout racking for about a week now, would I gain anything by racking it a second time? Also, I'm considering lagering the stout for a couple of weeks. Any ideas if that will enhance the end product?

Your not going to get much by using a secondary on a dark beer such as a stout. Lagering probably won't do much either to be honest. :fro:

Then yes, if I dry hop or add adjuncts (like fruit), then I will do a secondary. Will help racking to bottling bucket or keg later.

how about if the second racking included raspberries?

That would be a reason to secondary a batch, although I don't think adding fruit to a stout is going to have the effect that you probably think it will. After the sugars in the fruit ferment away (and they will), you get what remains. Also, you'll have to add quite a lot of fruit due to all of the lovely caramel and roasted grains you've got in there. Consider saving the raspberries for something much lighter like a blonde ale.

The best thing you can do for your stout is to give it an extra looooooong time conditioning in the bottles at 70*F, say 3-4 months or more.

I would agree with most of the comments here, you do not get much from moving to a secondary.
With that being said, personally, if I am not going to share the beer, I doing a single step fermentation. If I am sharing the beer, I rack it. I notice that when I don't rack the stout, the stout is a bit grainy and the particulate in the bottom of bottle and the glass is more. If I rack it, I can usually pour the whole bottle and the beer is clean.

Also, I have found with both my Wheat and Stout beers, I don't skimp on the Irish Moss. It is not about clarity, but the drop in protein. I find these two beers really benefit that it brings and the beer seems more crisp.

Just my observations.

index.jpg

Latest posts

Back