Advantages/Disadvantages to Nitrogen Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
I did a search, but all I could find were questions regarding how to set up a nitro tap, but I couldn't find anything regarding WHY a nitro tap.

I know stouts and porters are often served with them. Does it just produce a creamier head? Do you have better head retention? Are there any concerns regarding ageing the beer, or spoiling of the beer?

Thanks!

You can remove the restrictor plate from a nitro tap and use it as a regular tap if you are not pouring a Stout. I have one at home, but I use it for Stout only (so far). I am planning to use it on a few other beers, dispensing with beer/gas mixture.

Salute! :mug:

It gives the beer that creaminess you see in Guinness apposed to a more fizzy carbonation of CO2. There's no advantage or disadvantage, just depends on how you want to serve a beer. I'd like a setup someday and would put everything from IPAs to Brown,s to stouts, to Blondes on it :)

It gives the beer that creaminess you see in Guinness apposed to a more fizzy carbonation of CO2. There's no advantage or disadvantage, just depends on how you want to serve a beer. I'd like a setup someday and would put everything from IPAs to Brown,s to stouts, to Blondes on it :)

+1, It's like asking if there is an advantage for an IPA over a Cream Ale. No advantage or disatvantage, just different.

Mike

Does it just produce a creamier head?
Yes and for many people this is an important part of the stout experience.
Do you have better head retention?
Not really
Are there any concerns regarding ageing the beer, or spoiling of the beer?
No, nitrogen is basically inert in this application.

I have a pumpkin ale on beer gas right now. I don't know how much you know about nitrogen/beer gas setups, but it is actually a blend to N and CO2. The mix from the place I get it is 70% N and 30% CO2. So the nitrogen allows you to serve at a high psi and not over carbonate. This forces the beer through the restrictor and whips it up making a very fine creamy head and knocks most of the carbonation out.

Basically if I set my beer gas at 30psi I would have the same carbonation as setting straight CO2 at 10 psi. But most of the carbonation will leave suspension as it is dispensed, creating a creamy foam and a cascading effect.

So basically to answer your question, it isn't really better it is different.

Apparent advantages are that you can serve at a high psi, so you can have long lines or create a creamy head using a stout faucet.

Apparent disadvantages are the cost (5lb N tank costs me $24 same size CO2 $10). After spending more for the N you end up with less still. The boiling temp is so low and the amount of pressure needed to change N to liquid at room temperature is so high you only get a fill of beer gas to the point of the psi rating for your tank. CO2 on the other hand only needs ~800 psi to liquify so the tank can fill up with liquid creating a large volume of CO2 gas as it is dispensed.

So all in all if you want creamy head like a Real Beer dispensed with a sparkler or a "Guinness like" effect you pretty much need Beer gas. If you want a very similar effect but not quite as good, I used a real short line on my CO2 setup and put that through the stout faucet with the restricter. This worked pretty well until I got my Beer Gas tank.

If you beer carbonated like most beers sold in America I would go with just CO2.

Also for force carbonation I use straight CO2 to carbonate to the point I want. So you really need both setups if you want to use beer gas, but only CO2 if you want to just do CO2.

I hope this makes sense and helps!

Back