Advanced Question - Good flavor, Farmhouse Skunky Aroma.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me of why this would happen. It has happened in the last 2 batches, the last one I split and dry hopped one and left the other without dry hops. The one without the dry hops actually exhibited MORE skunk but it tasted wicked good.

Both batches AG have different malt/hop (one is a 100% pilsner and the other is Pale Ale malt) bills and both fermented out properly. My hops are vacuum packed and stored in my freezer in 1kg bags. Commonalities - yeast type US05 Same fermenter.

No signs of Infection in tasting or during fermentation. Fermenter sterilized w 25m of steam + starsan

What is really bewildering is the flavor does not exhibit any of the skunk aroma.

Ideas????

Two thoughts that pop into my head -

The standard cause of "skunk" is often light . . . . any chance of that? Glass fermenter left in the light? green/clear bottles? etc.?

Fermentation issues? Temps? How long did you ferment? Primary/secondary?

WHat kind of hops? Hops don't strike me as the problem.

How old is beer since brew day?

Beer is fresh and has been stored in kegs. Fermenter is in a freezer so away from light.

Fermentation was spot on.

Any chance it might be the gelatin. Im using beef gelatin 150 bloom from our pro cooking shop.

How does 150bloom beef gelatin differ from gelatin than might be used in brewing?

Latest posts

Back