Adjustung water minerals with nbeer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
OK I have been an all grain brewer for several years now in the CHicago area. I get lake Michcigan water which accross the board is very soft. It is great for drinking but high in chlorine and low in minerals. I plan on making my ESB and for the first time want to match as best I can Burton on Trent water. Using Chicago water 15 gallons as my base(I make 11 gallon batches)..the best I can do is use Gypsum, Epsom salt, and baking soda.

The program says to add 35 grams epsom salt, close to 25 grams of baking soda and almost 50 grams of gypsum....the gypsum is the issue..One vial is 55 grams....has anyone else used this program with success? Any thoughts on this?

Until now I only charcoal filter and add gypsum in the usual 1 to 2 tsp per 5 gallons..thats about 12 to 20 grams for 15 gallons of water..much less than I need to reach Burton on trent..not a big surprise since they have very high water levels but it must work..
\
thoughts????

Back