Adjusting the flame on your propane burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
Does most everyone adjust the flame to where it is mostly blue with maybe just a few tips of yellow?

That's how I did it last night making my SNPA clone from Clone Brews.

I like the sound of the all blue flame. lol

It should be cleaner burning that way as well.

I did notice that the only way to get fire coming from all the little jets in the outside ring, was to let in more air, but then I have a more yellowish flame.

BTW: everything went smoothly last night... but I forgot the dang Irish Moss. :drunk:

The all blue flame is the most efficeint and therefor safest adjustment. The yellow tips are from incomplete combustion == CO

yep, as David 42 stated.

no worries on the irish moss. i rarely use it and have not noticed much of a difference....

david_42 said:
The all blue flame is the most efficeint and therefor safest adjustment. The yellow tips are from incomplete combustion == CO

I figured that. I think I just wanted to make a post about using my new turkey fryer rig. It's really cool. 55,000 btus seems powerful enough for me. Even only half way turned up, the thing rocks. Maybe it would be different if I was trying to boil in a sanke keg or something....

DeRoux's Broux said:
yep, as David 42 stated.

no worries on the irish moss. i rarely use it and have not noticed much of a difference....

Thanks, breaux. I got a pretty good cold break going after the boil, so I probably won't miss the moss too much. In fact I chilled everything down to where I had to put the fermenter in a warm bath the next morning just to get the yeast more active.

Back