Adjusting Mash ph by malt changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalmoSalar

Reaction score
Just brewed a Brown Porter according to JZ's recipe: (p. 155 Brewing Classic Styles)
10 # Maris Otter
1# Brown Malt
1# Crystal 40 (I used Caramunuch ll)
.625# Chocolate malt

My actual mash ph was 5.3. The estimate from EZ Water Calculator was 5.54 as indicated below. I know adding a couple of grams of sodium bicarb to the mash and sparge would bring up the ph a point or so to the desired 5.4 -5.6 range. I don't really want to add that.

I'm adding the CaSO4 and CaCl2 to get my mg/l of ca into at least 50mg/l, so I don't think I can add less of these. What I'm thinking of is changing the grist. So which of the dark malts should I reduce? and or should I not worry about adding a little baking soda to raise the ph?

Water profile and salt additions:

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 2
Mg: 2
Na: 14
Cl: 13
SO4: 10
CaCO3: 11

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4.75 / 5.03
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 12.6

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 2 / 2.117894737
CaCl2: 2 / 2.117894737
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 58 / 58
Mg: 2 / 2
Na: 14 / 14
Cl: 67 / 67
SO4: 72 / 72
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.93 / 0.93

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 11
RA: -31
Estimated pH: 5.54
(room temp)

A 5.3 room temperature mash pH measurement is not too bad. I consider the ideal range more like 5.3 to 5.5. I guess you might need to aim slightly higher if you find that program consistently overestimates the mash pH. I see that you used Maris Otter, so I don't assume that this undershooting of the mash pH came from using an acidified base malt like Rahr.

Tweaking the roasted grain quantity to 1/2 # each and adding a pound of Maris Otter would add another point to the ph (estimate)
I'm wondering if tweaking the recipe is preferred to adding a couple of grams baking soda to the mash and sparge water as a means of adjusting the mash ph.

I'm just hesitant to add the additional salts, since I've not added them (sodium bicarb) to previous beers.

I'm wondering if tweaking the recipe is preferred to adding a couple of grams baking soda to the mash and sparge water as a means of adjusting the mash ph.

I don't know and neither does anyone else. Obviously pulling back on the dark grains will change the flavor profile. This may or may not be a good thing and the only way to find out is to brew the beer multiple times trying various strategies. You can expect to be able to brew a decent beer the first time but to brew a superb beer can require years of experimentation.

I'd take careful tasting notes on the brew you have just done. Then I'd do it again with a bit of alkali added to increase mash pH by a 0.1. See if that beer is better or worse. Then try without the salts but less dark/roast malt. etc. etc.

Back