Adjusting cider after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I read Yoopers cider thread several times and wanted to ask for thoughts prior to adjusting my cider's taste and sweetness while kegging.

I used 5 gal bottled AJ from Costco and pitched a dry sachet of cotes des blanc. It is now week 6 (3 primary/3 secondary), the cider is long done fermenting, clearing nicely, and I am ready to rack to keg for cold conditioning and to carb following that.

The cider is bone dry due to the yeast I used, and my ABV is at least 7% based on OG and FG. But it is way too dry so I am preparing to use campden and sorbate to inhibit yeast activity. Is it advisable to use frozen apple juice concentrate to add much needed sweetness and an apple essence/flavor? The way it tastes now is pretty darn dry and bland. Am I going about this the right way??

I never secondary my cider, just let it clear in primary. I also don't use campden. For 5 gallons of cider, racking on 1 can of frozen concentrate in the keg will give just enough sweetness to offset the dryness without being too sweet. Everyone's taste is different though. Remember, you can always add more concentrate but you can't take it out! If you over-sweeten, it'll just be an excuse to make another batch and try again!

That's a really good point about adding frozen concentrate. I normally add two cans of frozen concentrate to bring back the sweetness but I am also a huge fan of filtering with a 1micron filter to pull as much of the yeast out of the cider as I can before adding frozen concentrate back in. I don't do chemicals in any way shape or form so campden tablets are completely out for me however I have had two batches now that have started a small fermentation when adding the frozen concentrate if I don't filter first. Just something to think about, not a recommendation, everybody has a different way of doing things and that's how my bus rolls.

I read Yoopers cider thread several times and wanted to ask for thoughts prior to adjusting my cider's taste and sweetness while kegging.

I used 5 gal bottled AJ from Costco and pitched a dry sachet of cotes des blanc. It is now week 6 (3 primary/3 secondary), the cider is long done fermenting, clearing nicely, and I am ready to rack to keg for cold conditioning and to carb following that.

The cider is bone dry due to the yeast I used, and my ABV is at least 7% based on OG and FG. But it is way too dry so I am preparing to use campden and sorbate to inhibit yeast activity. Is it advisable to use frozen apple juice concentrate to add much needed sweetness and an apple essence/flavor? The way it tastes now is pretty darn dry and bland. Am I going about this the right way??

I do exactly that. But be aware that the taste of cider is a direct function of the apples that went into it, so bland is what you get.

Your cider doesn't have to stay bland; you can back sweeten, add acid, and add tannin just as a suggestion. Make it into whatever you want, and don't be discouraged by the Danny Downers...

Just add some juice to the pint glass pre-pour. That's what I do.

Today apple, tomorrow peach, Saturday Cranberry. I find my first few pours I add juice, after 2-3 I just drink it dry... To each his own.

That way you're not stuck with 5gallons of just apple, also no risk of over doing the concentrate.

AND LASTLY, if you're kegging don't bother with Campden. Just get it in the keezer (Cold) and you shouldn't have a re-ferment problem..

Cheers! :)

Today apple, tomorrow peach, Saturday Cranberry.

I use the above method quite often, keeping some thawed out frozen concentrate in a jar in the Fridge. if you're going to drink a few pints you can mix it up a growler at a time. It's also fun to play around with oddball items you may have around. For example, on Easter, my G/F used up a small jar of Marachino cherries, the sweet juice went into a few pints of cider. She liked it better than I did, a little too sweet, but everyone likes different things. I avoid chemicals in my cider as much as possible, but many people use them and are happy with the results.

I like the idea of adding some flavor/sweetness at time of dispensing. That way I'm not stuck with a keg full of cider if I don't like the way it tastes. I plan to do this at serving time.

I racked to keg last night and as I explained, found the cider to be overly dry and lacking a depth of apple flavor. I expected this based on the fact I used bottled clear apple juice and cotes des blanc yeast.

I added campden and sorbate but only half the suggested dosage since I was immediately going to cold condition. I added two cans of FAJC and it was still a bit dry, so I added a packed cup of brown sugar dissolved as simple syrup. The cider is pleasant now, and I only expect the end product will get better as it cold conditions prior to carbing.

My first batch I just bottled dry...like yours it is very dry. I sweeten it by the bottle when drinking.

Second batch I used FAJC after camden and sorbate...three cans in five gallons, it is very nice. That may be too sweet for some folks, but it has a nice apple flavor with some of the tart apple still left. Folks like it around here...but this ain't exactly country!

I learn by trial and error as most folks do. My next cider I'll use is Musselman's cider (cloudy appearance) and an ale yeast like 04. I believe this will give me a more pronounced apple flavor and the cider should finish a bit sweeter with an ale yeast. Not saying my first batch is not drinkable....just learning about ciders.

In the meantime, I'll research apple orchards that may sell pressed cider. That is a different ball game I think, but another dimension I'll look forward to in the fall.

Today apple, tomorrow peach, Saturday Cranberry.

Never thought about using juice to sweeten in the glass. Instead of making batches of half cider and half some other juice, I can just add different juices to straight cider in the glass. Genius!

I've been using simple syrup that I make. But I find sweetening in the glass is far easier and allows for personal tastes. All the various methods to make sparkling sweet cider are a PITA.

Back