Additive for a clean pour from Bottle Conditioned beer ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
Recently I came across this comment online ...
"In the 80s UK, Boots, the chemists, who already sold home brew kits, developed a yeast that settled at the bottom of bottles as a gel. Unlike the sediment you're used to, that is disturbed when you tip the bottle, this just sat there."

(btw Boots the Chemist is pharmacy in the U.K. ... they stopped selling brewing supplies in about the yr 2000)

Is anyone here familiar with that yeast product or a similar one?

Is there another way (or additive) to cause the sediment to solidify so solidly that it will not move even when shaken?

Did you find out what yeast to use?

Have you tried champagne yeast at all, as it gives very little deposit (although not gel). It will effect the flavour of the beer, but champagne beers are a real specialty! I would imagive that the discorging process may be a bit excessive for beer making!

I havent ever made beer though, so sorry if this is awful advice!

I live in the UK - gutted Boots no longer sell home brew gear!

My mom gave me loads of old Boots brewing stuff :) well actually more winemaking.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Did you find out what yeast to use?

Nope. I never came up with anything that would cause the dregs/sediment in a bottle to congeal.
Yeast that flocculates well is not going to do the trick ... what is needed is something that actually solidifies or congeals the sediment so that you can pour from the bottle and the sediment goes nowhere.

Is there another way (or additive) to cause the sediment to solidify so solidly that it will not move even when shaken?

I don't bottle condition much beer, but maybe some gelatin in the beer would do it? That would settle out and congeal in the bottom of the bottle...

And I imagine you would dispose of your bottle also;)

...and then rinse out clean with some warm water. ;)

Thinking about this a little more, gelatin makes perfect sense. In fact, obvious enough that it seems unlikely that nobody else has tried it. Of course, a quick search is returning results that talk more about gelatin during cold crash, before bottling, not in the bottle.

As the bottles are carbonating, it would stay liquid, then congeal in the refrigerator.

Back