Additions to brew set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
I currently have:

5 gal stainless kettle
2 primary plastic buckets
2 glass carboys
Bottling bucket

I don't have a wort chiller
I don't have a burner

What are some things that would be good additions that make the biggest impact.

Any recommendations to the set up?

A fermentation fridge/freezer with a temp controller like an STC-1000. You can do this inexpensively by getting the unit used on Craigslist.

I am, by no means, experienced in brewing (4th batch fermenting now), but for my last batch my husband surprised me with all the makings for a wort chiller and I am IN LOVE. I'd been a little stuck on the right way to go about about building the "perfect" one after reading all the talk about how barb clamps are better than hose clamps, and wondering if a counter flow would be better than immersion, etc. Since he's not the perfectionist I am, he just eyed the expensive rig at the LHBS, then hit Home Depot and grabbed the stuff. It's only 20' of copper, but the thing rocks. I highly recommend the $20-30 buck investment. And I'll be watching to see what everyone else recommends.

Maybe a bigger brew pot? How big are your carboys? Another thing you might consider is a turkey fryer so you can use the burner to do your boil.

Can I presume that you brew extract now?
How are your fermentation temps now? If you have someplace that's dark and reliably in the mid-60s or so (for ales) I would say that a wort chiller should be number one on the list.
If your temps are all over the place, then a fermentation chamber should be.
The best way to get good beer is keeping your temperatures under control. This is both getting your wort down to pitching temps as quickly as possible and keeping the fermentation temps steady.
The next part would be to go for full boils, which would take a 8-gallon kettle (minimum) and a burner, since most kitchen stoves can't handle that much water getting to a boil and keeping it there. Starting tomorrow, you should be able to find turkey fryer burners on sale, and these usually come with a pot that is just about the right size. I generally use the one that came with as an HLT for my sparge water (I brew all grain) and have a slightly larger one for the actual boil.

I'll chime in with another vote for the fermentation chamber with temperature control. By far the best thing to improve the quality of your brews. Next recommendation would be a set up to do yeast starters so that you are pitching the proper amount to control the off-flavors created by yeast stress.

Bench capper instead of winged capper. Saves loads of time.

I certainly can't argue with that. Capping is much easier and more consistent with the bench capper. My old wing capper (that didn't like certain bottles anyway) hasn't seen the light of day since I switched.

Latest posts

Back