Adding yeast to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasbarbin

Reaction score
I currently have 2 beers in secondary. One is an Oktoberfest that was put in primary on 5/21 then racked to secondary on 5/25. I added gelatin finings and it has been lagering since 6/1.

The other beer is a Blonde Ale that I put in primary on 5/25, then racked onto about 4 lbs. of peach puree on 5/30. I basically rushed this stuff through primary in the name of getting the almighty "pipeline" caught up.

Anyways, after tasting them a couple weeks later, I'm starting to think that I might have rushed through primary too fast. I was counting on the yeast that was still in suspension to continue fermenting while in the secondary vessel. However, the Oktoberfest tastes slightly watery and dry, and the peach beer tastes sweet and peachy. Maybe the "dryness" is because I used Danstar Nottingham yeast for the first time, and am used to yeast that produces more esters. Also, these past few batches, I finally got my temperature control down pat.

My question is, would it be advisable to pitch a small amount of yeast from an existing Nottingham yeast cake into secondary, to clean up and finish the fermentation? I am getting more peach flavor than I'd like in the peach beer, so some of the sugars there have clearly not fermented. I may leave the Oktoberfest alone, as it tastes pretty good already, and I already added the gelatin finings.

What do you guys think?

You don't mention gravity readings. How did you know your beer was anywhere near ready to rack (and add finings too!) if you don't check the gravity? Plus, if you restart fermentation in the peach one, you are going to blow all the flavor out the airlock.

Step. Away. From. The fermenter.

Seriously, though, take a gravity reading and see where it's at. Wait three days. Take another gravity reading. Come back and tell us what the two numbers are and we can give you advice.

Just knowing what you told us, I can say that you probably transferred to secondary too soon. The yeast in suspension can finish the job, but they will be nowhere near as efficient and they may get exhausted before you reach final gravity. But who knows until you find out what the gravity is! Just don't go adding new yeast in there until you have evaluated the situation with a hydrometer.

Slow down.

It does no good to fill your pipeline with crappy beer because you rushed the process.

Here's my "Noob Advice" list. There is an order applied to which of these ideas and associated techniques need to be stressed first. These are in this order because of their importance to creating good to great beer.

0) RDWHAHB
1) Sanitation
2) Patience
3) Fermentation Control (specifically temperature)
4) Consistency
5) Just about everything else.

I put the last one there because if you don't have the first four mastered and practiced with every brew, you are never going to make great beer every time. I put the first one there because this is a hobby and we're here to have fun. If homebrewing wasn't fun, you'd never find people this passionate about it.

Also, read! There are a ton of great books out there that will more than get you started.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

Thanks guys. I know that I rushed two of these beers, particularly the peach beer (which I never expected to turn out great, anyways). I guess my train of thought was, "some beer > no beer" so I churned a couple out as quickly as I could. These are 2.5 gallon batches, so it's not quite as big a deal if it turns out poorly. Obviously, though, I'd prefer it to be at least halfway decent.

I'm not even sure I took an OG reading on either of these, although in the case of the peach beer, it wouldn't matter, because I added additional fermentables in secondary. I can definitely take a hydrometer reading, though, and see if it changes over the course of 3 days. I'll post results and make a decision after that.

The good news is, now that I have a couple 2.5 gallon batches well underway, I feel better about keeping the 5 gallons of blonde ale I have in primary for at least another week or 2. OG reading on that one was 1.033

Secondary is not for fermentation. Wine makers and mead makers might use a secondary fermenter, but when making beer you are using a bright tank...to clear the yeast and 'stuff' in suspension...maybe dry hop...but that's it.

So if fermentation is not DONE, you do NOT rack it to the bright tank. Period.

Latest posts

Back