Adding yeast after several weeks of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igow0001

Reaction score
I am brewing a big Belgium trippel. It started out with a potential alcohol of 11.9% and after 4 weeks is down to 7.6%. I put it in the secondary after 2 weeks then got nervous about the sediment build up so moved it again after 2 more weeks. I am wondering if I should add more yeast? It has been 6 weeks now and it is still bubbling away but it has a long ways to go. What do people think? Add more yeast or not?

Since you moved it off the yeast before it was done fermenting, I would expect you should add more. Just remember to let it finish fermenting before you rack to secondary.

Since the sediment is largely yeast, and you moved it off before it was done (not sure why this would seem like a good idea), what do you think you should do?

Don't bother adding any. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension. If more is needed, the yeast will multiply.

Rdwhahb

Don't bother adding any. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension. If more is needed, the yeast will multiply.

Rdwhahb

If I read this correctly, he racked it twice. I doubt there is enough yeast and what is left is probably not up to the job.

bknifefight said:
If I read this correctly, he racked it twice. I doubt there is enough yeast and what is left is probably not up to the job.

There is plenty. Most people underpitch to begin with, and the yeast spend the first few hours multiplying so they can get the job done.

Additionally, if he racked in the middle of fermentation, most if the yeast is still in suspension. It doesn't flocculate until fermentation is near completion. The sediment at the bottom during before and during fermentation is mostly hot break and hops.

There is plenty. Most people underpitch to begin with, and the yeast spend the first few hours multiplying so they can get the job done.

Additionally, if he racked in the middle of fermentation, most if the yeast is still in suspension. It doesn't flocculate until fermentation is near completion. The sediment at the bottom during before and during fermentation is mostly hot break and hops.

+1 to this. They yeast might be a little stressed and give off a a few esters, but for a tripel that doesn't sound all bad. Plus, you'd run a risk of that with new yeast anyways. I'd just let it hang out for a good long while, and the yeast will eventually take care of it. If you come back to it in a month and the gravity has stalled too high and isn't changing any more, then you could think about adding more yeast.

Also, in the future don't worry at all about the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. I've left beers on the sediment (hops, trub, yeast) for 4-6 months and never wound up with any nasty flavors.

I imagine they racked it because it seemed to be done. Chances are it was stalled or stalling out and putting it into a secondary jump amplified the problem. I still stand by adding more yeast.

Honestly the thing I would worry about is head space. If you racked a fermenting beer it will overflow unless you basically moved the wort from a bucket to another bucket? If you moved from a bucket to a glass carboy (like 7g to 5g) then I would highly recommend moving everything (sediment and all) back into the bucket since you are looking at some serious overflow problems. Also your fermentation time will increase. +1 on the yeast being in suspension, that is where the yeast actually does stuff. When the yeast settles to the bottom it's full and done doing whatever it is doing and essentially eating. I would not add more yeast and really try not to touch it for at least 2 more weeks. Take a gravity reading and check to see if it's good.

I have found that big beers take a longer time to ferment out and more importantly condition.

Rdwhahb

can't multiply if there's no oxygen left. im with bknifefight, add more yeast

Yeasts do not need aerobic conditions to multiply, they can do anaerobic or aerobic. Also if adding yeast will still not let the yeast multiply you will have to add a ton of yeast and disperse it evenly. If you feel the need to add oxygen, take the stop gap off the bucket and shake it vigorously, but I highly doubt that you will have a problem just letting it be.

Yeasts do not need aerobic conditions to multiply, they can do anaerobic or aerobic. Also if adding yeast will still not let the yeast multiply you will have to add a ton of yeast and disperse it evenly. If you feel the need to add oxygen, take the stop gap off the bucket and shake it vigorously, but I highly doubt that you will have a problem just letting it be.

true, they can multiply without oxygen, but in alcoholic wort where there is no nutrients its at a very limited rate. considering it still hasn't reached after 6 weeks, I don't think sitting pat is the greatest idea. if OP were to add yeast at this point, using an active starter or racking onto a cake is the usual means of adding more so more growth isnt a worry.

If it is still bubbling leave it alone. However it is possible that the yeast just aren't happy, and even though there is plenty there, they will just refuse to do any more work. The dreaded stuck fermentation. If it stops bubbling altogether for several days, and the gravity is still too high, then I would suggest making a starter and when it is at peak activity, add that to your batch.

I agree with pjj2ba and to dcp27 I would add some yeast nutrient to the starter if you need to add the starter at all just to make them happy.

it is possible that yeast you are using is not hardy enough to with stand the high alcohol content that you desire. in essence the alcohol that they are producing is killing them. you could try a more hardy strain that is better suited to create high alcohol beer.

I can see all sorts of problems that might occur from brewing for several weeks straight.

I suggest you take it off the heat and let it start fermenting.

Back