Adding water after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browdy06

Reaction score
I started my first brew - Irish red ale. I added the wert to the primary fermenter bucket and after a week I have transferred over to a Carboy. Now, the part I screwed up, I did not add water after dumping into the primary fermenter. I only have about 2.5-3 gallons in the fermenter. If I add a gallon or two of water, will I ruin the batch? It's been about a week and a half of fermenting

You might consider using a brew day checklist, I use one for every batch no matter how simple I think it is because you will always have distractions, especially when just starting out.

I write down exactly what I plan on doing- including water temperatures- hop schedules, additions- I even write down HYDRO READING! Because I will forget. Its really important to write down a check list so you dont end up with 2 1/2 gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch

Why did you transfer it to the secondary if the gravity was so high? Come to think of it, why did you transfer it to a secondary at all?

My first reading was 1.054 does that sound right? I am definitely going to have a checklist the next time I do this!

Ha! Well it almost black and it's supposed to be a darker red. I did take a huge sample when I first made a reading and didn't return it to the bucket, In a coffee thermos ( poured) because I didn't know any better at the time. And not positive if the hydrometer was off the bottom. I am going to add water to see what happens. It does have a very strong alcohol odor.

It's just not possible that your reading is correct. Take a another reading now, and report back with the actual reading. Then give us the recipe, and we can figure out exactly what's going on.

I will take another reading here in a bit. Question on that - after sanitizing and rinsing, should I let it dry or is it ok to make contact with the wort when my thief and hydrometer is wet? The recipe was a kit from Midwest supplies for Irish red ale.

First steeped grains for 30 min at 155 degrees. Then malt extract added. Once boil started 1 oz of cascade bittering hops added and boiled for 60 min. 1oz of Fuggle hops added for last two minutes of boil. At this point I cooled down to below 80 degrees poured into primary fermenter ( forgot to add water at this point). I stirred up the wort then added dry yeast into bucket ( direct - not rehydrated). It did bubble for a day or two then stopped. Been sitting in my closet ever since at about 72 degrees. Going on nearly 2 weeks. I took the reading that read 1.092 on Monday. It's sitting at about 2.5 to 3 gallons. Recipe is for 5. As I'm looking the initial SG is supposed to be around 1.042-1.046 initial and FG at 1.010-1.012

I will take another reading here in a bit. Question on that - after sanitizing and rinsing, should I let it dry or is it ok to make contact with the wort when my thief and hydrometer is wet? The recipe was a kit from Midwest supplies for Irish red ale.

First steeped grains for 30 min at 155 degrees. Then malt extract added. Once boil started 1 oz of cascade bittering hops added and boiled for 60 min. 1oz of Fuggle hops added for last two minutes of boil. At this point I cooled down to below 80 degrees poured into primary fermenter ( forgot to add water at this point). I stirred up the wort then added dry yeast into bucket ( direct - not rehydrated). It did bubble for a day or two then stopped. Been sitting in my closet ever since at about 72 degrees. Going on nearly 2 weeks. I took the reading that read 1.092 on Monday. It's sitting at about 2.5 to 3 gallons. Recipe is for 5. As I'm looking the initial SG is supposed to be around 1.042-1.046 initial and FG at 1.010-1.012

Having the sanitized item wet is good.

How many pounds of extract did you use? Liquid or dry?

I have an idea by looking. It's a plastic carbon - better bottle. I just checked the SG it was 1.020. Now I'm baffled even more

At that SG do you think I would screw up the batch adding water to get it near 5 gallons or should I leave it alone?

At that SG do you think I would screw up the batch adding water to get it near 5 gallons or should I leave it alone?

I'd taste that sample. It sounds pretty good, actually, so I'd be inclined to leave it.

Do you want to take a picture of it, and we can see what the level looks like? is it a 6 gallon better bottle or a 5 gallon better bottle? If it's a 6 gallon, 5 gallons is a long way from the top and even in a 5 gallon BB, 5 gallons is below where it curves in at the top. You may not be all that low, unless it's like half full.

image-403279061.jpg
When it was in the primary fermenter (bucket), it was just below the 3 gallon mark.

A little bitter. Not quite sure how to explain it. Decent flavor just a little tangy

If I add water will it water the beer down and ruin it? Will it screw up the yeast?

If I add water will it water the beer down and ruin it? Will it screw up the yeast?

It won't screw up the yeast.

You could try pulling out a sample, measure it, and then add water, to simulate adding a gallon (or whatever). See if it's better. If not, leave it alone. It'll just be what it is at this point, but if it tastes ok, I might be inclined to leave it alone.

Optimistically, you've made something unique.. Irish Black Ale? Couldn't be an Irish Stout due to lack of roasted malt, but still! If it tastes good, that's what its all about.

Update to this thread. I bottled the beer about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I added priming sugar with a full pot of water boiled, cooled, and bottled. Refrigerated one bottle today and tried it. Hard to pour without creating a ton of head. Tasted like a darker red ale. Not bad. Any reason as to why it's creating so much head? It wouldn't go down either.

Could it be because you had 3 gal of beer and used the priming sugar for 5 gal?

How much sugar did you use?

The cooler a beer is the less head I get. So try keeping them in the fridge longer and see if it helps. :mug:

Using 5 oz corn sugar in a 3 gallon batch (depending on the temperature that the beerhas been fermented at) will give around 4 volumes of co2, (assuming a beer temperature of 70F) that is for most styles overcarbed, and depending on what bottles you used pottentially dangerous a regular 12oz bottle will held safely a little more than 3 vol of co2, if you are using champagne bottles, grolsch or "belgian ampolles" those are a little thicker and will take that co2 pressure. If bottles were prime a little time ago (I´ll say a week or less) sticking them in the frige will make your yeast in the bottles to go dormant and stop producing co2, this will give you a sweeter beer with less carbonation. If you used grolsch bottles you can vent them a little bit and re-closed them,or if you have the patience uncap them and recapthem after a while. I´ve never done that but it can be done.
One thing I can tell you is that there is a chance that you are dealing with bottle bombs, a small chance, because 4 volumes of co2 are not that much and even 12oz bottles will most of the time hold it safely. Just as a precaution be safe moving them and opening them. Sometimes it´s better to be safe than sorry.
Keep us updated

I've drank about 7 of them. They taste a little darker and still very carbonated but tastes decent.

Back