Adding Vanilla to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEHeikkila

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Home Brewers:

I am currently making a porter and would like to add vanilla beans, a few wood chips, and a cup of whiskey. I generally never use a secondary except for fruit, and keep most beers in the primary for 4-6 weeks.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts of throwing the above combo into the primary after 4 or 5 weeks and letting it be for an additional week followed by bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. I plan to soak the wood chips and vanilla beans (cut into 2 inch sections, split, and scraped) for 3 weeks in the whiskey prior to putting into fermenter.

I have searched the forums and haven’t successfully found opinions on this, most always mention using a secondary.

To add to this, if it matters, I keep the fermenter at a constant 68-70 with a Johnson Controller and Fermwrap.

When I do this I use a secondary but that is my preference to take it off the cake after 2-3 weeks. I just flipped thru my John Palmer book and saw nothing about the need to move to a secondary or any mention of adding chips and vanilla. As long as you add it after fermentation is complete I dont see a big issue unless there is some reaction that would cause the yeast to react badley and give off flavors. Maybe someone can answer this. Watch the amount of wood chips. I have found too much white oak chips can give it a false oxidized flavor. A lesson learned. I now blow torch mine a bit before I soak.

Forgot to add that I let the oak chips dry out a bit before tossing them in and toss out the bourbon. Its a painfull moment lol. I also use a fine mesh bag for the chips and beans tied to a piece of fishing line so you can suspend it in the center out of the cake.

I just added the beans and the 4oz of vodka they soaked in into the secondary the racked on top of that was very satisfied with the results.

Forgot to add that I let the oak chips dry out a bit before tossing them in and toss out the bourbon. Its a painfull moment lol. I also use a fine mesh bag for the chips and beans tied to a piece of fishing line so you can suspend it in the center out of the cake.

You soaked the beans in bourbon and tossed out the bourbon? Isn't tjat a waste? Since most of the vanilla flavors are extracted into the bourbon, that's why you soak them.

You soaked the beans in bourbon and tossed out the bourbon? Isn't tjat a waste? Since most of the vanilla flavors are extracted into the bourbon, that's why you soak them.

Just the chips. I let the alcohol in the beer extract the vanilla. I dont like the boubon to dominate so I keep only what is extracted into the chips. It balances out very well without excessive heat from the added bourbon. Im soaking an ounce of chips barley covered in bourbon while the beer is fermenting.

Do you get a god amount of vanilla taste, or just enough to know its there? How many beans do you typically use?

Do you get a god amount of vanilla taste, or just enough to know its there? How many beans do you typically use?

It really depends on the amount. Vanilla is a subtle flavor with a big aroma. I used 4 beans split for up to 2 weeks (World Market is a good place to find whole bean cheap) and it gave a nice aroma and flavor but not overpowering. Works well with porters where your malts tend toward a less bitter vs a black patent. Whiskeys can really overpower and add too much heat if you get carried away, so I am conservitive using them. I avoid blended inexpensive bourbon. Quality in, Quality out. I have made some blow your doors off bourbon stouts that needed quite a bit of cellar time. I have one now that needs a little time to smooth out and I hate waiting lol
:mug:

Just did a bourbon barrel porter. Did it in the secondary for three weeks. 4 vanilla beans. About 10 to 12 oz of bourbon.(not a big whiskey fan didn't want the whole 16oz.). And 4 oz oak chips soaked all together for 2 weeks prior to adding to secondary. Turned out amazing. The beer is smooth, very aromatic. And tasteful.

Fermenter: summer ale clone
Secondary: chipotle smoke porter
Bottles: brown ale, milk chocolate stout, Bourbon barrel porter,

Latest posts

Back