adding sugar to AG boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
doing a smash going to add 8 oz of corn sugar do i add at the
start mid or end of the boil ? - thanks all

I add mine in the last 5-10min of the boil. I would knock the flame out and stir to make sure it is all dissolved and then crank it back on. You dont want it to burn on the bottom...

I'll put it in with the chiller ,it knoks the boil down when i
put it in.
yes i'll turn the flame down
Thanks

I'll put it in with the chiller ,it knoks the boil down when i
put it in.
yes i'll turn the flame down
Thanks

Why not put it, and the chiller, in at flame out. The temperature will still be hot enough to dissolve the sugar and sanitize the chiller (10 seconds at 160 F is all you need). This way you eliminate the risk of burning the sugar and don't have to interrupt the boil while re-heating to offset the temperature of the chiller you put in.

I've been putting my chiller in at flame out with no issues.

Why not put it, and the chiller, in at flame out. The temperature will still be hot enough to dissolve the sugar and sanitize the chiller (10 seconds at 160 F is all you need). This way you eliminate the risk of burning the sugar and don't have to interrupt the boil while re-heating to offset the temperature of the chiller you put in.

I've been putting my chiller in at flame out with no issues.

I will try this next time , today I just spinkled the sugar a little bit at a time
and stirred while it was still boiling,i think it went ok (nothing burnt on the BK
bottom)
Thanks

Back