Adding Puree Oxygen Free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
Is there an easier way to add puree to the primary in a conical oxygen free other than using a dry hopper? Adding several gallons using a dry hopper would take forever... Or does introducing oxygen at this point not matter?

Several gallons of puree? How many pounds are you adding? One gallon of an average puree would be close to 9 lbs.

Is there an easier way to add puree to the primary in a conical oxygen free other than using a dry hopper? Adding several gallons using a dry hopper would take forever... Or does introducing oxygen at this point not matter?
Adding puree will restart fermentation and the yeast will quickly consume any stray oxygen that is introduced, so don't worry about it.

Adding puree will restart fermentation and the yeast will quickly consume any stray oxygen that is introduced, so don't worry about it.

Yeast quickly pick up oxygen when they need it to build sterol reserves, in preparation for budding. They don't really need to do much (if any) growth when sugar is added to a finished fermentation, where the yeast have already reached a critical mass. I won't say that the yeast won't use any of the newly intoduced O2, but I personally wouldn't count on it to use most or all of it, especially when there are better options.

Yeast quickly pick up oxygen when they need it to build sterol reserves, in preparation for budding. They don't really need to do much (if any) growth when sugar is added to a finished fermentation, where the yeast have already reached a critical mass. I won't say that the yeast won't use any of the newly intoduced O2, but I personally wouldn't count on it to use most or all of it, especially when there are better options.
Good to know!

Latest posts

Back