Adding Pectic Enzymes with yeast( SAME Time)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino23

Reaction score
Hello all, This is my very 1st run at brewing. I made a mistake and added Pectic Enzymes, yeast nutrients and a dry ale yeast at the same time. 24 hours after the camden tablets.

I sealed it with the airlock and then 12 hours later no bubbles.

My question is what can I do now? What is the reaction of doing this all at the same time? I have realized after the fact that I should have waited 12 hours to add the yeast. Have I killed the yeast?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I just need urgent help.:ban:

My recipe Is Rosella Tea, Grapes, and Palm sugar. Many thanks for the help guys!

You should be fine. It will take a while for the yeast to get going. I add pectic enzyme to my juice at the same time as I pitch the yeast and haven't had any issues. My cider usually takes 24 to 36 hours to get going and show air lock activity.

They only thing to be aware of is when you add pectic enzyme after fermentation. The enzyme is less effective when there is alcohol present.

Yeast (and sulfites) both interfere with the effectiveness of pectic enzyme, but that's no worry. It will be perhaps a bit less effective than using it 12 hours before the yeast.

I generally add the campden, then 12 hours later add the pectic enzyme, the 12 hours later add the yeast. But it's not a worry really.

I'm getting ready to do a cider soon, and was wondering about the timing of the pectic enzyme as well. Thanks for the clarification.

How much pectic do you add, per gallon? I've made some small batch fruit wines (with grocery store frozen fruit, you'd be surprised how well they turn out) and they usually recommend 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Can I extrapolate that for a 5 gallon cider batch?

Thanks for your help everyone. So I think I killed the yeast. I put it in some water about 5 to 10 mins before adding it too primary. I think this is what did it. Since I have 2 other batches working normally and didn't do that step. Now its 3 days later with no bubbles, but there is what must be the dead yeast floating around the top.

My question is can I just throw another pack of yeast in? is there such thing is too much yeast?

Also has anyone ever brewed with Palm sugar? And does cinnamon have any effect on fermentation? Both are in this batch that is not fermenting.

Thanks for your help everyone. So I think I killed the yeast. I put it in some water about 5 to 10 mins before adding it too primary. I think this is what did it. Since I have 2 other batches working normally and didn't do that step. Now its 3 days later with no bubbles, but there is what must be the dead yeast floating around the top.

My question is can I just throw another pack of yeast in? is there such thing is too much yeast?

Also has anyone ever brewed with Palm sugar? And does cinnamon have any effect on fermentation? Both are in this batch that is not fermenting.

Are you sure it is dead, I always pitch an hour after I enzyme but I have never heard of enzyme killing yeast, my understanding is it breaks plant matter into sugars. It should not kill of your yeast.

There is technically such a thing as too much yeast but I wouldn't really worry about it. Go ahead and throw another pack in.

Cinnamon is commonly used in ciders and meads and shouldn't cause any problems.

Palm sugar is probably pure sucrose, thus 100% fermentable and I don't see how that could cause problems.

Latest posts

Back