Adding pectic enzyme to pulpy juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
I'm planning on making an apple/peach cider that I know will have a lot of suspended pulp in it(I'm using a juicer). Will adding pectic enzyme help to compact the pulp and create a higher yield? It will probably be about 1-2 gallons from the amount of fruit I have and the recommendation on the pack says 1tsp per 5 gallons so I'm thinking that 1/4 tsp per gallon should be fine. Any thoughts on the amount added? Maybe I should add more since this will have more solids than a regular cider. Or maybe the enzyme only works on juice that is already pretty sediment free(fresh pressed cider from an orchard). Any input is appreciated!

Pulp and pectin aren't the same thing, but adding the enzyme certainly won't hurt anything. I would use it (I always do). It doesn't compact the lees, it just binds with pectin and helps the cider clear. I'd expect your yield to be poor if you have a lot of pulp.

Look up culinary use for pectic enzymes. Its sometimes used to increase juice yields, but I think its used prior to juicing the fruit.

You should always use pectinase to help with the extraction of flavours and precipitation of solids when fermenting fruit or vegetable based ciders and wine. Just buy a big pack - this stuff is readily available through normal brew shops

I'm now thinking of adding the enzyme after crushing to help extract the juice. I've looked extensively and can't find anyone recommending a specific amount. My package says to use 1tsp per 5 gallons of juice, but what about pulp? From what I've read it will help with the amount of juice I'll obtain from the pulp. I'm doing a small first batch with about 30 pounds of apples and about 5-10 pounds of peaches. No idea how much pulp that will make. Have you guys used the enzyme on the whole pulp or just the juice?

I'm now thinking of adding the enzyme after crushing to help extract the juice. I've looked extensively and can't find anyone recommending a specific amount. My package says to use 1tsp per 5 gallons of juice, but what about pulp? From what I've read it will help with the amount of juice I'll obtain from the pulp. I'm doing a small first batch with about 30 pounds of apples and about 5-10 pounds of peaches. No idea how much pulp that will make. Have you guys used the enzyme on the whole pulp or just the juice?

Holy-Multiple-Posts Batman! Its ok I've done it too.

Add Pectinase at the rate of about 100mg/kg. It likes a mildly acidic environment, 3.5-6ph and temps around 100-120f. Add lemon or lime and heat to 100 for a couple hours.

The lot. Whole pulp and juice. As you also need to inhibit the action of pectin.

Ok thanks a lot for the replys. It's much appreciated!

Holy-Multiple-Posts Batman! Its ok I've done it too.

Add Pectinase at the rate of about 100mg/kg. It likes a mildly acidic environment, 3.5-6ph and temps around 100-120f. Add lemon or lime and heat to 100 for a couple hours.
Oh haha I see what you mean. about the multiple posts now!

Latest posts

Back