Adding Nutmeg to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alehouserock

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing, I have only done extract kits and just finished a Christmas Beer. I think that nutmeg would take it to the next level. It's a Belgian strong and the spice pack it came with had Coriander and sweet orange peel chunks in it.

Would the best way to add nutmeg flavor be to break a nut in to several large pieces and get or make a spice bag?

I am new to homebrewing, I have only done extract kits and just finished a Christmas Beer. I think that nutmeg would take it to the next level. It's a Belgian strong and the spice pack it came with had Coriander and sweet orange peel chunks in it.

Would the best way to add nutmeg flavor be to break a nut in to several large pieces and get or make a spice bag?

Welcome.

I always add spices before bottling. Make a tea using a french press with your bottling sugar. That way you know if it'll actually taste like an appropriate amount so you don't screw up 5 gallons. You could bust a nut :D for the tea or you could just grate it with a zester.

I add nutmeg with 5-10 minutes left in the boil. It settles out and leaves a nice flavor.

Back