Adding mouthfeel through oat flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propilotdave

Reaction score
There is only sporadic info on the use of oat flakes in a brew for added mouthfeel. I have an irish red steeping, its an extract brew with specialty grains. I altered the recipe to get it further from a Killians and closer to a Smithwick's...Having said all that lets learn something here:

1. Effects of addition of oat flakes
A. During steep
B. During boil

2. Should additional water be added to the initial boil amount to compensate for the absorption of water into the grains

3. Additional thoughts, insights, tips, etc for effective use of oat flakes in your adventures in homebrewing

If you steep oats, you won't get anything out of them. Well, except for starch, I guess.

Oats give slick mouthfeel, and in my oatmeal stout they actually taste creamy. But you have to mash them with a base malt, or you just get a starchy haze in the final beer. If you boil them, you'd get oatmeal in the beer, which again would give you a starchy haze but no fermentables sugars.

If you steep oats, you won't get anything out of them. Well, except for starch, I guess.

Oats give slick mouthfeel, and in my oatmeal stout they actually taste creamy. But you have to mash them with a base malt, or you just get a starchy haze in the final beer. If you boil them, you'd get oatmeal in the beer, which again would give you a starchy haze but no fermentables sugars.

For sure you get a haze if you don't mash but you do also get better head retention. I've done it without mashing and I still like the mouthfeel. Maybe I'm just strange?:p

Yes, the haze is very, very prominent as i racked to secondary. Perhaps when using oat flakes a standard recipe change is the addition of irish moss...hmmm

Maltodextrin powder is a very easy way to get body into an extract recipe. 4 to 8oz in a 5 gallon recipe is a good starting point. It adds an insignificant sweetness and essentially no other flavors.

Back