Adding lactose to Russian imperial stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I'm brewing a northern brewer AG Russian Imperial Stout kit tomorrow. I was planning on adding a pound of lactose at the end of the boil. The recipe includes 4 total ounces of hops. If I were to add the lactose, would it be advisable to reduce the amount if hops? Maybe by half? Input appreciated.

I was also planning on adding coffee when kegging; good or bad addition to a milk stout?

Mikel

I don't ever use more than 2 oz hops in my milk stouts. You also don't have to add the lactose at the end of the boil

When you say I don't have to add the lactose at the end what are you saying? Not to add it at all or to add it at a different point?

Mikel

A RIS is hoppy. If you add the lactose and reduce the hops you will throw off the GU:BU ratio. If this is what you are going for, then fine. But why are you changing an RIS into a milk stout instead of starting with a regular stout?

Went with the RIS for the higher gravity. Would it be best to stick with RIS or would it be relatively easy to change it to a milk stout?

Mikel

Back