Adding ice to cool the wort down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you read any of this thread?

That is explained in like the three posts before my own. I dont mean to sound like an ass but your answers are literally in this thread. If you need further clarification, just specify which part doesnt make sense and we would be happy to add to it.

Did you read any of this thread?

That is explained in like the three posts before my own. I dont mean to sound like an ass but your answers are literally in this thread. If you need further clarification, just specify which part doesnt make sense and we would be happy to add to it.

No worries, it's all good. I did read the thread but didnt see anything referenced about adding 2 gallons of near frozen/or even frozen water to 2.5 gallons of wort.... adding 1 gallon yes but not 2. Regardless, I'll experiment with this on my next brew to see where it gets me

its a sanitation problem. you can freeze ice in bottles and toss those in if you sanitize the bottle

commercial ice is actually considered unsanitary.

sanitized bottles are not foodsafe over 180.

Don't get me started! ;)

Never had a problem with ice, but I exclusively buy KROGER ice, which they claim is purer than the high quality drinking water here.

When I was brewing extract I would always buy a couple of gallons of distilled water and freeze them in the jug. Just use a sanitized knife to cut the jug away and add ice directly to wort after boil.

No worries, it's all good. I did read the thread but didnt see anything referenced about adding 2 gallons of near frozen/or even frozen water to 2.5 gallons of wort.... adding 1 gallon yes but not 2. Regardless, I'll experiment with this on my next brew to see where it gets me

The math was referenced (in celsius). Add equal parts boiling water and near freezing water and you would get the average of the two. 200 degree wort mixed with 32 degree water would get you to about 115 if my math is right, and its easier to chill 2.5 gallons than 5. Chill your 2.5 gallons down to say low 100s then use the cold water to get yourself to pitching temps.

I built a wort chiller using 25 feet of 3/8 cooper tubing. The total cost was about 29 dollars. I have a 8 gallon kettle and boil from 6.89 gal to 5.70 and then chill in a ice bath and use a immersion chiller. I let my sink drain slowly and replace my baths ice as needed. In 95 degree weather this summer I chilled wort from 212 to 70 in under 30 minutes. How much do you guys spend on ice?

Back