Adding Horchata to my Vanilla Porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
So im making a vanilla porter. Not the Bourbon Vinilla on this site. And was thinking about splitting to 2.5 gallon batches and adding the Mexican Drink Horchata to one of them. I have no Idea how to make this **** and will go by a local restaurant to pick up a cup. My questions are do you think it will go bad?

Why would I want to do this you might ask...

Why the hell not. If it turns out ****ty O well if it turns out great even better.

Give me you thoughts on what will or could happen.

And no Im not mexican.

I had the idea when I first started brewing to make a fermented horchata, because I had it at a restaurant and it was awesome. That never panned out, partially because I tasted my first batch of cider and was disheartened at making non-brewed beverages.

Some horatcha is made with milk, others with rice milk or soy milk. Milk-based would be bad; I'd guess that soy-based would be semi-bad (fatty), rice-based is likely OK (provided there's nothing "weird" in it. If you're dead-set on adding "horatcha", I'd ask the restaurant what's in the drink to make sure that all the ingredients are OK or else go about making it yourself.

If you'd just like to approach the flavor (which is similar to chai), I'd look at adding some spices (vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg) to the secondary. I'd soak them in a few ounces of Vodka or Bacardi-151 for a few days ahead of time.

As for the sweetness, I'd go with 1/4 lb of Honey Malt in the grains (steeped or mashed). Lactose could also work.

Here's a recent thread that might have more ideas:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/horchata-stout-cinnamon-vanilla-sweet-rice-stout-201066/

Thanks for the posts guys...What about the liquid starbucks Chai tea crap they sell? I wonder if a couple pumps of that stuff will do the trick..

Back