Adding electric ignitor, I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dputt88

Reaction score
So I finished this brewstand almost exactly one year ago today. So, for our one year anniversary I wanted to get her a little bit of an upgrade, an electric igniter for all three burners. I'm thinking it would be a thoughtful gift for the both of us. I'm not really having much luck looking for igniters on amazon and eBay so I was hoping someone would offer up some advice.

I'm not really proficient in all of the brewstand lingo so instead of trying to use a bunch of abbreviations to tell you about my brewstand I'm just gonna post pictures and tell you this.

its a welded frame with a gas manifold and 3 burners , each with its own regulator. its a 20 gal system. It makes beer.

20151120_153053_zpsr3invdaj.jpg

20151120_144441_zpsgfxpmwsu.jpg

20151120_123535_zpsd3hfagio.jpg

20150706_140637_zpsdbhma0b9.jpg

I hope she's not mad that I'm posting pics of her on the internet.

Let me know what route you think I should go.

I have one of these on my brew rig. Uses a single AA battery and can fire up to three spark igniters (I'm using two).

Simple setup - aside from mounting the igniters. I drilled and tapped holes on the underside of my cast iron BG-14 burners to mount the igniters, and welded a bracket on the rig to hold the controller...

Cheers!

I was hoping to have one button the went to 3 igniters, but I will definitely consider this.

lol, i didnt see your post day tripper.

how long does the AA battery last?

also shouldn't the wire be protected?

how long are the wires?

I'm using sp10 burners mounted onto a bracket that runs the lenrth of the stand.

The battery lasts for a long time - a few years so far.
Unless you're firing it lots of times per session I'd expect similar results.

I bought mine years ago, and iirc there were two wires around 3 feet long to go from controller to igniters and another shorter one to ground the controller. From the looks of the current controller it appears they added another run of wire with an igniter already attached. In any case there was plenty to span the length of my 60" long rig.

You definitely have to run the wires away from heat. I found as long as the wires are below the burner shields there's no issue of them being fried. The last leg to get to the igniter is straight up and with all the make-up air being pulled through that vicinity is stays remarkably cool...

Cheers!

Back