Adding DME to account for too much volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkypants

Reaction score
I just put together a Yooper's Ruination clone recipe (1lb of 20L caramel, 8lbs DME, etc.). According to Yooper's recipe it should have a SG of 1.077.
In my excitement over my new 10gal kettle, I forgot that in my stovetop tests it wouldn't boil without the lid on, so I had put in about 6 gal of water for the boil thinking I was compensating for boil-off. Since I had the lid on to keep the boil going, I therefore ended up with...almost 6 gal in the FV. My SG is at 1.064 adjusted for temp, which is right at where my calculations tell me I should be for 6 gallons with 1lb of steeping 20L and 8lb of DME.
I plan to add in 2 more lbs of DME mixed with about a quart of water held at about 170 for 15 mins, cool it down in the sink, and add to the fermenter tonight to get up to the 1.077 called for.
Anyone see any issues with this, other than that my blowoff tube is definitely going to get used tonight?

I just put together a Yooper's Ruination clone recipe (1lb of 20L caramel, 8lbs DME, etc.). According to Yooper's recipe it should have a SG of 1.077.
In my excitement over my new 10gal kettle, I forgot that in my stovetop tests it wouldn't boil without the lid on, so I had put in about 6 gal of water for the boil thinking I was compensating for boil-off. Since I had the lid on to keep the boil going, I therefore ended up with...almost 6 gal in the FV. My SG is at 1.064 adjusted for temp, which is right at where my calculations tell me I should be for 6 gallons with 1lb of steeping 20L and 8lb of DME.
I plan to add in 2 more lbs of DME mixed with about a quart of water held at about 170 for 15 mins, cool it down in the sink, and add to the fermenter tonight to get up to the 1.077 called for.
Anyone see any issues with this, other than that my blowoff tube is definitely going to get used tonight?

Next time, don't use a lid! You want to make sure volatiles can evaporate off so use less water if you have to but maintain a rolling boil with no lid.

Anyway, for this batch you probably don't want to mess around with it too much since you've already got the hops in the beer. Just go with what you have, and call it good. It'll be a little more bitter (but how will you be able to tell? It's Ruination!) and be better than trying to fix it at this point.

So obviously I couldn't leave well enough alone and added it. I can tell you all are shaking your heads and smacking your foreheads, but it was just gnawing away at me like an itch I couldn't scratch. Thanks for your thoughts Yooper, and thanks for the recipe.
Btw, the yeast (from 1.5l starter which is now probably too small) was already taking off and the dme addition almost caused a spill because of all the co2 coming out of solution, and it had just been a couple of hours.

Have the results now - beer came out really tasty. Probably too dark because I scorched the added dme a bit. If I have to do again I'll use a double boiler. Hopefully won't have to, because it is taking chances. Better to be lucky than good.

Latest posts

Back