Adding Concord Grape Juice to a Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWSenese

Reaction score
I've got about 2 gallons of frozen concord grape juice left over from making Jelly and am thinking about using it in a beer-wine hybrid. I know concord grapes aren't recommended for wine making and thus may not be great in a beer, but since I have it i'd rather give it a try then let it go to waste.

I'm thinking of doing a 4 gal batch of saison and then 2-3 days into fermentation, adding all 2 gallons of the juice.

Would love any advice others may have.

Thanks!
Gary

I've got about 2 gallons of frozen concord grape juice left over from making Jelly and am thinking about using it in a beer-wine hybrid. I know concord grapes aren't recommended for wine making and thus may not be great in a beer, but since I have it i'd rather give it a try then let it go to waste.

I'm thinking of doing a 4 gal batch of saison and then 2-3 days into fermentation, adding all 2 gallons of the juice.

Would love any advice others may have.

Thanks!
Gary

I cant say anything about concord grapes, but I have used organic white grape juice in the past. I made a 4.5 gallon batch of a double ipa, then added 2 half gallon jugs of grape juice. Added 1 at a time starting right around the time fermentation started tapering off. Came out so good it's one of the few beers i actually brew more than once. So i say go for it. Maybe you could try a small batch first?

Concord grapes are used quite a bit in wine making, so no worries on that front. Which saison yeast are you thinking to use? I am having a hard time imagining the jamminess of the Concord going with the spiciness of WY3711 (my preferred saison yeast), but they may complement each other quite well. Conceptually, I think that one gallon might work better since the concord flavor is strong. Either way, it is definitely worth the try!

I made a 5G sour-mashed amber saison about a month ago to which I added a quart of fresh-squeezed muscat grape juice (23 brix) on day two of fermentation. I've since moved the beer from primary to secondary for bretting and wine-cube oaking, but I was able to grab a sample. I feel as though it could use more grape juice to give the initial impression of "wine", however the remaining aftertaste are definitely wine notes. I think in my case where I'm aiming for a (hopefully) complex, sour, aged saison that the minimal approach is probably best, however if I were looking to really showcase the grapes/wine then I would definitely up the ante with more grape juice than my measly quart :D.

Concord have a fairly dominant foxiness to them that can overwhelm other flavors if not balanced. I might actually look at a possible double-addition schedule, on an as-needed basis. Basically, something like adding 2-4 quarts on day two of active fermentation and on day 4 taste a sample; if you want more grape character than add another 2-4 quarts, or if you're please with the level of concord flavor then don't add anymore. It's an idea anyway.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I'll be splitting the juice additions in two and tasting in between.

My usual saison is with WYeast 3711 (French Saison)

Latest posts

Back