Adding cider with potassium sorbate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I am planning a cider. I was wondering if I added about 1/2 gallon of cider with potassium sorbate into the fully fermented 5 gallon batch, would it kill off the yeast or would the new apple cider ferment?

I was also thinking about some of the new sweet liquors out there like the flavored vodkas. Could one be used to flavor and sweeten a cider and then could it still be carbonated with priming sugar?

I am planning a cider. I was wondering if I added about 1/2 gallon of cider with potassium sorbate into the fully fermented 5 gallon batch, would it kill off the yeast or would the new apple cider ferment?
For this, my understanding is that unless it includes BOTH k-sorbate and k-meta, the fermentation will still happen, the yeast just cant replenish itself.

I was also thinking about some of the new sweet liquors out there like the flavored vodkas. Could one be used to flavor and sweeten a cider and then could it still be carbonated with priming sugar?

Sounds like it might work, but depending on what flavors you wanted to add, like another fruit flavor, frozen juice concentrate (straight from the can) might be better, as this can sweeten, add flavor, and have enough sugar to carb and retain flavor.

Caveat- just repeating what I've read here and have been told. May or may not be 100% accurate/true.

Thanks. I will probably go the route of either Kegging or bottling then pastuerizing. I thought about just adding rum to the hard cider and seeing if it will carbonate when I add concentrate.

Back