adding bourbon and oak cubes to barleywine made a weird layer that floats on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpigthepig

Reaction score
Hey,

I made my first barleywine, I got the alcohol up to 11.5 percent and let it sit in secondary for 5-6 months before adding 6oz bourbon with 3oz oak cubes that soaked together for 2 weeks. Immediately upon adding the bourbon/oak to my secondary some sort of reaction seemed to take place creating a 1-1.5 inch layer of weird lighter colored sediment looking stuff that floated on top. I tried to mix it in by swirling the carboy but it kept floating back to the top. what is this? should I be worried?

Thank you!

If it was instantaneous like you say then I doubt you have anything to worry about but I don't know. Posting a picture might help other folks tell you if they have experienced the same thing.

I agree, if it was instant, it shouldn't be an infection or anything. I bet you kicked up some light crap that was compacted at the bottom, and you also released some CO2 from the beer that carried it to the top, and it's now just going to float at the top rather than being stuck with the rest of the crap on the bottom.

thanks for the words of comfort, guys! I was super worried. I'd upload a picture but I don't have a camera or a smart phone (gasp!).

I suppose all good things come in time. I'll see how it's doin after a few weeks, and then maybe i'll dry hop it.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back