Sick to my stomach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
So what do we think could be the cause of a porter that I cannot drink one glass of without getting sick to my stomach? I haven't vomitted yet, but each time I drink a glass I get stomach cramps and feel like I could vomit. After about 6-12 hours I am ready for another glass if I want to feel bad again. I can't stomach this beer and it looks like it might be a 5 gallon dump. I'm not sure what might have caused it and am looking to see if anyone else has experienced anything like stomach cramps and nausea from a homebrew. Let me also say I have a pretty solid stomach that can handle a lot of crap, so I am confident something is wrong with this beer. I wanted to test it out on someone else, but I really don't want to do that to my wife or my friends. Any of you however, are welcome to come over and give it a try in the name of science.

As far as the details, even though I exclusively do AG brews, this winter I wanted something quick and easy indoors so I did a bourbon porter extract kit from Northern Brewer. Brewed it up on 12/9 and had it in primary for 1.5 weeks before transferring to secondary. In secondary for about 5 weeks with oak cubes and 16oz bourbon added the last 2 weeks before kegging. I had a sip when I kegged it and it tasted decent enough. Fast forward a few weeks later and every pour has made me feel sick (I've had about 4, 12oz glasses). It doesn't look infected with any weird colors or have anything floating around, but maybe that doesn't matter. I was always under the impression an infected beer would taste bad, but not necessarily make you sick but I've never had an infected beer so don't really know. The other thing I'm thinking is that I used a recently purchased "used" keg. It said it was cleaned and sanitized so when it came to keg day, I forgot to re-clean it (knowing I should have) and only ran sanitizer through it. It looked and smelled spotless inside, but I suppose something nasty could have been growing up in the valves (I'll certainly find out upon disassebly). Other things I thought about were the oak cubes, the old bourbon I used, how I cleaned my keg line before tapping the new beer, but none of it seems like a culprit.

Anyone else experience anything remotely similar to this or have any other ideas. I'm not real happy about it and definitely not a big fan of dumping beer.

Last edited:
Well, I guess the "clean keg" that you didn't clean might be the culprit. Not knowing what it was cleaned with or if all the parts were rinsed properly. One thing is for sure your body is telling you it isn't happy with this beer. If it is chemical contamination then I would expect it to make others feel sick as well.

Well, I guess the "clean keg" that you didn't clean might be the culprit. Not knowing what it was cleaned with or if all the parts were rinsed properly. One thing is for sure your body is telling you it isn't happy with this beer. If it is chemical contamination then I would expect it to make others feel sick as well.

Yeah, I agree. The "clean" keg would seem to be the most likely cause of my malaise.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to have a look in the keg... right before I dumped it.... that aint right.
I wonder if you had some sort of chemical reaction between two different sanitizers.
what kind of Oak cubes? something you got at your LHBS ?

Last edited:
My vote is for the "clean" keg as well, but there is always a possibility with the oak. Did you toast the oak at all? Soak it in bourbon? Anything to sanitize them?

I picked up a used keg, that smelled like pinesol to me, I understand that it could have been Mountain Dew syrup, but it surely motivated me to give it a good cleaning. We all make mistakes, and the pain of dumping a batch helps us to remember "don't do that" again.

what kind of Oak cubes? something you got at your LHBS ?

Yup, a nice package of cubes from Northern Brewer were included in the kit. I only used 2 of the 3 ounces in my brew for a less oaky character.

Attachments

• 20180220_100755.jpg
    20180220_100755.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 234
My vote is for the "clean" keg as well, but there is always a possibility with the oak. Did you toast the oak at all? Soak it in bourbon? Anything to sanitize them?

No toasting but soaked in bourbon for about 3 days before dumping in 2ndary.

Maybe out on a limb (<-- pun) here, but are you allergic to oak? Have you used oak chips in the past? Do you get the same reaction when you drink Budweiser? (Bud is aged in beech barrels. Beech is related to oak).

For experimentation purposes I would rack the Porter to a known clean and sanitized keg. Rinse - not clean, the questionable keg and half fill with another beer - keep the other half in a different keg/bottles for a control.

Drinking a sample of each should tell you what beer under what circumstance is tearing you up.

Maybe out on a limb (<-- pun) here, but are you allergic to oak? Have you used oak chips in the past? Do you get the same reaction when you drink Budweiser? (Bud is aged in beech barrels. Beech is related to oak).

For experimentation purposes I would rack the Porter to a known clean and sanitized keg. Rinse - not clean, the questionable keg and half fill with another beer - keep the other half in a different keg/bottles for a control.

Drinking a sample of each should tell you what beer under what circumstance is tearing you up.

Seems like that would be an odd allergy, but I am a guy with allergies (trees, grasses, dogs, cats), so certainly a possibility. Although I've had so many bourbon barrel porters and stouts I'd think I would have had issues a while ago with something aged in oak, but who knows. It's definitely a possibility and I'll certainly start paying attention to "oak" stuff more & maybe try your suggestion above. Thanks.

So here's a good one. When I explained this situation to my wife she quickly offered to try a full glass of this menacing homebrew in the name of science. It isn't really her style of beer, but she downed the full glass within an hour and had ZERO effects that day or the next. She also thought the taste was pretty good.

So it seems that maybe I could be allergic to something in this brew or I am just a wimp. Do we think the "wife-test" is adequate to allow me to unleash this beer on my friends? I think maybe a keg-killing party is in order!

So here's a good one. When I explained this situation to my wife she quickly offered to try a full glass of this menacing homebrew in the name of science. It isn't really her style of beer, but she downed the full glass within an hour and had ZERO effects that day or the next. She also thought the taste was pretty good.

So it seems that maybe I could be allergic to something in this brew or I am just a wimp. Do we think the "wife-test" is adequate to allow me to unleash this beer on my friends? I think maybe a keg-killing party is in order!

Interesting. Maybe you have an allergy to some mold or mildew that formed in the keg. Or it's the oak. But sounds like an allergy to me.

I was going to lean towards the keg being cleaned with some chemical that is causing the cramps but now it looks like maybe that isn't the case. Maybe it is the oak. Try sucking on one of the oak cubes for awhile (only joking....sort of). But if your wife was able to drink it with no issues, I saw at least pass it around instead of dumping it.

I used to have a bucket of brett that I would do 100% brett ferments with extra wort. Those beers would get my stomach rolling but I would not call it cramps.

I was going to lean towards the keg being cleaned with some chemical that is causing the cramps but now it looks like maybe that isn't the case. Maybe it is the oak. Try sucking on one of the oak cubes for awhile (only joking....sort of). But if your wife was able to drink it with no issues, I saw at least pass it around instead of dumping it.
Yeah, I would think it's either the oak or maybe one of the kit ingredients? I think it's my first time having wheat malt dried extract and dark malt syrup extract. I havent done a lot of extract brews and really have only used DME (amber) a couple times in my AG endeavors.

Honesty is always best. Tell your friends the whole tale of woe and intrigue, and let them decide what to do. Now you are off the hook, whatever happens! Good luck!

This may not help much but here goes, years ago I used to drink a name brand beer...a lot of this particular beer. It came in cans or glass bottles (which I preferred).

Then they decided to market this wide mouth plastic bottle. It gave me the absolute worst heart burn from just one bottle. I tried it a couple times but I couldn’t do it. Not sure what it was with it. it made me sick though. Our bodies are weird sometimes.

Just be darned sure you're killing the keg and not your friends! :)

Yeah, I would think it's either the oak or maybe one of the kit ingredients? I think it's my first time having wheat malt dried extract and dark malt syrup extract. I havent done a lot of extract brews and really have only used DME (amber) a couple times in my AG endeavors.

Gluten allergy from the wheat extract? BTW, your wife is a trooper.

Was there any maltodextrin in the kit?

If so, I bet that's it. Your wife may not be sensitive to it.
Not real familiar with maltodextrin, but isn't it in a ton of foods these days? I would think I would have found that allergy years ago if I had one.

Gluten allergy from the wheat extract? BTW, your wife is a trooper.
Good thought, but I don't really show any other gluten allergies. And I was shocked my wife was willing to try this beer even after I recommend she steer clear of it!

Not real familiar with maltodextrin, but isn't it in a ton of foods these days? I would think I would have found that allergy years ago if I had one.

It is in small amounts vs a much larger amount that is typically used in beer kits (when it is a kit that contains it of course). Also when you eat say... A granola bar that has maltodextrin in it, it's a solid food so even when chewed and being digested you are getting that lower amount over a much lengthier timeframe. When drinking you are getting a higher amount much quicker as it is more "efficiently" absorbed into you blood stream via the liquid.

Howdy! I’m new to this forum but had a few questions.

1. What type of hops were used? Have you used those hops in a previous beer?

2. Any allergies to other plants?

3. Have you tried similar beers before with no ill effects?

i was certainly leaning towards a cleaning solution leftover in the keg, but maybe have a few other people try it and see what they think...probably people your not really good friends with :ban:

Howdy! I’m new to this forum but had a few questions.

1. What type of hops were used? Have you used those hops in a previous beer?

2. Any allergies to other plants?

3. Have you tried similar beers before with no ill effects?

i was certainly leaning towards a cleaning solution leftover in the keg, but maybe have a few other people try it and see what they think...probably people your not really good friends with :ban:
Have never used the US Goldings, but I'm sure I've had them in other beers. Dont have any plant allergies (that I know of). I have a feeling I may be doing some more personal experimentation with this brew.

I'd be interested in your findings. I've come across a few people that have pretty serious hop allergies. Also for myself I've had an occasional IPA that resulted in an almost instant headache for myself and a few others, often before the pint is even finished. Could have been an allergy to a particular hop, or strain of grain. Hard to say but when 6 people are drinking and 3 of them get headaches...it makes you wonder wth is going on.

Best of luck man. Also kudos to your wife! Shes a trooper for having a pint in the name of science.

Latest posts

Back