Adding Another Michigander (Grand Rapids) to the Member List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinomyte

Reaction score
Hey Everybody

I've been wanting to start home brewing for many years and a few weeks ago I finally decided to buy the tools, study how to do it the right way and started my first batch of IPA this past weekend. My wife and I are expecting our first child in August and I hear I won't have too much time on my hands. Still hoping to have enough time for a small, at home hobby. Am I just dreamin?

hey man, welcome. I,too, am a west michigander. Dorr, actually. I don't post much because the info on here is enough to answer any question I have. I'm assuming your LHBS is Siciliano's? I like it that you can get everything for a brew day there, as well as a very unique build your own 6pack to be "fuel" for the hard work that is this hobby:tank:

Thanks! Yeah, this place is full of useful info. Already learned a ton just by reading.
I actually went to a new brew store called O'Connors Home Brew store located next to Martha's Vineyard in midtown. They just opened up this spring and they seem like really good people down there and very willing to answer questions. They even hold free seminars on different topics. Like support new start ups and hopefully they continue to provide good service.

Congrats...............yeah all of sudden brewing becomes an exercise in keeping the kids from going up in flames. Welcome!

I actually went to a new brew store called O'Connors Home Brew store located next to Martha's Vineyard in midtown. They just opened up this spring and they seem like really good people down there and very willing to answer questions. They even hold free seminars on different topics. Like support new start ups and hopefully they continue to provide good service.

Never heard of that one. I'm going to check it out today. Thanks for the link, I would've never even known they are there. I've been going to Brewers Edge in Holland. I hate that they aren't open sunday as thats usually my "lazy" day which makes for a perfect brew day (and planning ahead would be too difficult:))

I haven't been to any of the local/aread brew stores yet (only been here 3 months and staying in temp housing so I cannot brew).

That said, 1fst4dr how is Brewers Edge in Holland? What did you think of their selection, service, pricing?

Welcome to the hobby. Starting out with extracts, you just need a couple hours after the little one goes to bed.

I'm in Holland quite a bit but have never been to Brewer's Edge, I'll have to check them out!

Brewing with a very young one can be a challenge, but only if you let it.

For starters, I suggest getting your stuff together NOW. You will have to be diligent to NOT succumb to the urge to spend all of your waking time learning about and making stuff for brewing. You can get very caught up in the hobby if you are not careful. You're little one deserves better.

That does not mean that you can't easily get started and brew beer even during the first few months. With some self-control you should be able to brew Extract batches pretty quickly, and there are steps in the brewing process that allow for you to walk away for a bit and take care of the little one.

You can't get away from the boil time if you are not using pre-hopped kits (and I don't recommend you use them) but you can cut chilling time by doing a "no-chill" method. It's a technique that some people have tried that they claim works as well as chilling. it can shave some time off of the actual brewing process, by postponing the yeast pitch until the next day. It may save 1/2 hour at the end of the brew. That's just one small option to consider.

If your SWMBO is willing, consider having her keep an eye on the baby while you do your 3 hour brew, then you reciprocate by watching him/her while she does her thing (like taking a nap or a soothing bath, etc.)

Each having a little time to do their relaxing stuff can help make new baby time more enjoyable.

I'd say extract can be done in 3 hours from start to finish including clean up. All Grain would require probably 6 hours or more when starting out. After some experience you may be able to trim that to about 5 hours on a standard setup.

Figure maybe 2 hours start to finish for bottling about 4 weeks after brewing.

So it's very doable, but beware the obsession!

Never heard of that one. I'm going to check it out today. Thanks for the link, I would've never even known they are there. I've been going to Brewers Edge in Holland. I hate that they aren't open sunday as thats usually my "lazy" day which makes for a perfect brew day (and planning ahead would be too difficult:))

I like how they keep it local as well. They hired a local carpenter to make their wood shelving and bought hops from a grower in Plainwell. I was a bit surprised to learn that so many hops are grown in Michigan. There's a bunch of hop farmers near Traverse City. Looking forward to getting really fresh supply.

Brewing with a very young one can be a challenge, but only if you let it.

So it's very doable, but beware the obsession!

Thanks for the tips! I'm starting to get an idea of how much time you can sink into this. I've started listening to podcasts of basicbrewing.com while at work. At least I'm getting other things accomplished while i'm learning.

Brewers edge is a nice store. Everytime I've been there its been the same guy working there. He seems knowledgeable(its hard for me to tell though as my level of brewing is what you would call "basic"), very helpful, and seems like he truly enjoys talking beer and beer making. They have an excellent supply of grains and equipment (last time I was there they had a homebrew mini keg system that came with enough 1.25 liter kegs for a 5gal batch, plus it worked on the commercial mini-kegs, it was awesome).
2 five gallon batches with roughly 13lb grains and 5oz hops each, w/dry yeast, was around $52

I went to O'conners yesterday and came away impressed. They spent nearly an hour talking with me about my process and how to improve it. Very helpful. Even gave me a sample of a Black IPA they had on tap. I like how they package their own extract kits instead of stocking a "premade" kit of unknown age. I will be going back there sooner rather than later:). Thanks, Dinomyte for the heads up. Probably would have never know they were there.
2 5gal batches with 13lbs. of grain and 4oz of hops each with liquid yeast was $71.

I went to O'conners yesterday and came away impressed. They spent nearly an hour talking with me about my process and how to improve it. Very helpful. Even gave me a sample of a Black IPA they had on tap. I like how they package their own extract kits instead of stocking a "premade" kit of unknown age. I will be going back there sooner rather than later:). Thanks, Dinomyte for the heads up. Probably would have never know they were there.
2 5gal batches with 13lbs. of grain and 4oz of hops each with liquid yeast was $71.

Glad you liked it! Ben and his wife are really nice and pretty easy to talk to. They didn't have that Black IPA the last time I was there! May have to make a trip today. Their kits are nice. I do like that they put them together too, instead of a prefab kit. The IPA I'm brewing is their "Very Popular IPA" kit. Lower IBU's (28) but still 6.12% ABV. Seems like a good recipe. I'm putting it in the secondary carboy this evening or tomorrow and getting pretty excited to taste it. It's gonna test my patience waiting for it to bottle condition! :mug:

Back